General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 11:38 AM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

Received 867 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
I have a pretty good idea of what brand tires I bought. They are/were Dunlop American Elites and the tire was brand spanking new. Any more questions?
It's weird but when I blow your picture up I swear I can see MICHELIN on the side of that tire.

I don't really care because it can happen with any brand. Must have been a fun ride..... 😳

Old 03-23-2024, 11:59 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,468 Likes on 11,210 Posts

I was much happier with American Elites than the crappy Michelins. The C2 had bad wet road manners, and several replacemt C3 had the mid speed wobble.

Originally Posted by tmac00333
I have a pretty good idea of what brand tires I bought. They are/were Dunlop American Elites and the tire was brand spanking new. Any more questions?
Sorry, but unless that is some weird photo…that looks nothing like an American Elite.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 03-23-2024 at 12:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TriGeezer:
talkingrock (03-24-2024), touchdown (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 12:26 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,314 Likes on 1,982 Posts

I like the Dunlop AE, only had to replace a rear once at 5k thanks to a nail in sidewall. Have over 10k miles on the current set and both look like gan go another 10k.
If were not available would go with Michelin Commander 2.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:33 PM
ahhlou
Road Captain
Received 646 Likes on 326 Posts

I usually go with the "what do you have in stock" brand. Currently Dunlop AE...

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (03-24-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 12:42 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,197 Posts

I’m looking at this Continental rear tire , but I’m waiting for a good sale to get it for under $200 bucks .

Old 03-23-2024, 12:46 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,793 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
Metzler ME888
This. Been running them for many years, and never had an issue. They are awesome in the rain as well as dry, and they last a good amount of time. Just make sure you run the recommended higher than factory pressures.

Cheers!

Old 03-23-2024, 12:47 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
This is what coming apart looks like.
I hope you sent that pic to the manufacture

Old 03-23-2024, 01:13 PM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Received 454 Likes on 314 Posts

Been running the Commander II's since I can still get them, would run the Metezer cruisetec if looking for longer tire life, but give up some traction since they use a harder center tread, or run the AEs .
Hence would love to believe that the AE's that Harley is putting on the bikes brand new, are the same ones that you are buying after the fact, but since more that a few bike manufacturers are value engineering the tires on the bikes, such as the pirelli OEM tires that are made at an off manufacturing plant to get the prices down for the bike manufactor, verse what you buy after market, could be the problem with the oem AE's having problems as well.

As for the tire that tread will out last the tire as it ages out/goes out of round, the D402 tires that came on the old bikes.
Traction pretty much suck when compared to the new sticker tires, but for straight highway traveling, harder to find a tire that will tread wear less to begin with.
Note, tires start to go out of round in about 6 years, so just remember to watch the date codes and change them as the age out, not tread wear out.

Old 03-23-2024, 01:29 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,690 Likes on 1,681 Posts

I may be a bit off-topic here but in my experience tires (longevity) has greatly increased in the last couple of decades.

I've (we've) owned many H-D's and with the model years prior to the time when they did the frame changes and went to wider tires, rear tire life ( on cruisers and touring bikes) was somewhere between 10,000 +/- range depending on riding style and road conditions

On my '00 UC I got 13,000 miles before replacing it but about half of that mileage was while pulling a small cargo trailer and a trip north up the Al-Can Highway.
On my '13 CVO Ultra I had over 21,000 miles on the rear tire and still had some tire life remaining but replaced (both F & R tires) before heading out on a long trip.
My riding partner had over 27,000 miles on his '10 UC when he replaced them due to age concerns (of the tires) but still had some tread life remaining!

I guess that I have been fortunate in never having a (defective) tire fail.

I'm thinking about getting a new set of WWW's for my Springer this year so I'm gonna be selective and very cautious about the "birthdate" stamped on the sidewalls!

Old 03-23-2024, 02:26 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,800 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Sorry, but unless that is some weird photo…that looks nothing like an American Elite.
Another "Internet expert."

Maybe this will help. This is what I wrote to a law firm after the incident. I ended up not filing the lawsuit. By the way, I have dozens of other pictures, but this is my last word on the subject. It's worthless arguing with "Internet experts."

The order number has been X'd out for obvious reasons.

On July 21, 2022 I ordered a Dunlop American Elite tire, Twin Power tube and rim strip.
Order Number: XXXXX
All were installed on my 2020 Heritage 114 by an authorized motorcycle repair shop.
On Friday, August 12, I was riding eastbound on Interstate-10 with my wife
on the back. The tire inexplicably went flat at 70 miles per hour and the bike went into an
uncontrollable wobble. We were extremely lucky not to crash; if we had crashed, it would most likely
have been fatal. At the least, we both would have been seriously injured.
To make a long story short (we spent four hours by the side of the interstate until a tow truck was
available), when myself and the repair shop were finally able to get a good look at what had happened days later, we
discovered serious defects that resulted in catastrophic failure.
There have been many similar incidents involving these tires.
I have photos available, as well as the tire and tube. Here is a link that might be useful, and I have
many more.
https://www.chaliklaw.com/areas-we-s...ecalls/dunlop/

Quick Reply: Tires