Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   When to call it quits? When is enough, enough? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1454848-when-to-call-it-quits-when-is-enough-enough.html)

Uncle Larry 04-11-2024 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Spivitz (Post 21641847)
I go down to the last drip drip drip 🙌

Don't turn this in to a coffee thread

Chris_G 04-11-2024 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob (Post 21641861)
It's the same as standing at the urinal. Empty it out, shake it a bit to get the last few drops out, then button it up! :D

How much shaking is too much?

BouseBill 04-11-2024 12:22 PM

shake it more than twice and you're playing with it :icon_laugh:

At $22 a quart the Harley primary and trans oil is liquid gold, Like a good whiskey, I get every drop!

BrandonSmith 04-11-2024 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz;[url=tel:21641868
21641868[/url]]which stage of the oil change are we talking?

the old oil must first be warmed properly by taking the bike out for about 15-20 minutes
then you empty the old oil, and replace the filter
now before you fill, remember, the entire inside of your bike is coated with old contaminated oil, it's in the pump and any passages, etc
as soon as you put new oil in and start running it through the bike, it immediately picks up those contaminants
this is why you change it a second time, after warming it up and allowing the new temporary oil a chance to mix with the old contaminated residual oil in the system
once you drain a second time, there will still be the aforementioned residue inside and throughout, but it will be less contaminated
now that you've done your double oil change, warm the bike up one last time with a quick ride
obtain a sample and have it sent for ppm analysis by any of a number of capable testing laboratories....if it tests well, a third oil change is not needed

I love oil, we should have a whole section here dedicated just to oil

Exactly! 🙌🏻

BrandonSmith 04-11-2024 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry;[url=tel:21641872
21641872]Don't turn this in to a coffee thread

God forbid

Halojumper 04-11-2024 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by snipit (Post 21641870)
And when you get older, it takes a little longer to 'empty it out'.

and you have to do it more often,

Notgrownup 04-11-2024 01:07 PM

Depends if I’m wearing chaps or not… I like to use the 2 seconds rule pretty much.

roussfam 04-11-2024 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by BouseBill
shake it more than twice and you're playing with it :icon_laugh:

At $22 a quart the Harley primary and trans oil is liquid gold, Like a good whiskey, I get every drop!

Same with the hose at pump. Speaking of which I've noticed that guys will always shake the nozzle when it kicks off before putting it away, whereas women never do. Not a joke, I'm serious. It's like it's in our genes, get it? Genes.

I'll be appearing here all week .

davekp 04-11-2024 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz (Post 21641868)
which stage of the oil change are we talking?

the old oil must first be warmed properly by taking the bike out for about 15-20 minutes
then you empty the old oil, and replace the filter
now before you fill, remember, the entire inside of your bike is coated with old contaminated oil, it's in the pump and any passages, etc
as soon as you put new oil in and start running it through the bike, it immediately picks up those contaminants
this is why you change it a second time, after warming it up and allowing the new temporary oil a chance to mix with the old contaminated residual oil in the system
once you drain a second time, there will still be the aforementioned residue inside and throughout, but it will be less contaminated
now that you've done your double oil change, warm the bike up one last time with a quick ride
obtain a sample and have it sent for ppm analysis by any of a number of capable testing laboratories....if it tests well, a third oil change is not needed

I love oil, we should have a whole section here dedicated just to oil

Really????????????
Change it 2 or 3 times?
Too OCD for me.

RHPAW 04-11-2024 01:31 PM

FJB will decide when you've had enough oil.