Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   When to call it quits? When is enough, enough? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1454848-when-to-call-it-quits-when-is-enough-enough.html)

BrandonSmith 04-11-2024 11:39 AM

When to call it quits? When is enough, enough?

I was changing my oils the other day and was letting the bottle drip the last few drops before starting to pour the next quart. It got me thinking…

When do you call it quits?

Do you let the container drip dry, until no more drops come out?

Do you pour until the majority of oil is out, then pitch the container?

Or are you like me and use the Popcorn Rule(R) - you let the container drip until there’s a two seconds between drips?

When is enough, enough?

702 04-11-2024 11:40 AM

It just really depends.

What kind of oil do you use?

diablos 04-11-2024 11:44 AM

leave it tipped overnight and the rest of the oil can get dumped into the hand oiler, good enough for cutting oil

BrandonSmith 04-11-2024 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 702 (Post 21641828)
It just really depends.

What kind of oil do you use?

Only the best

BrandonSmith 04-11-2024 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by diablos;[url=tel:21641838
21641838[/url]]leave it tipped overnight and the rest of the oil can get dumped into the hand oiler, good enough for cutting oil

Wow didn’t think of that… u smart. Thx

Spivitz 04-11-2024 11:50 AM

I go down to the last drip drip drip 🙌

Calif Fat Bob 04-11-2024 12:03 PM

It's the same as standing at the urinal. Empty it out, shake it a bit to get the last few drops out, then button it up! :D

Chris_G 04-11-2024 12:06 PM

Dripping isn't a good thing, I'd suggest checking for a STD

CaffeineBuzz 04-11-2024 12:06 PM

which stage of the oil change are we talking?

the old oil must first be warmed properly by taking the bike out for about 15-20 minutes
then you empty the old oil, and replace the filter
now before you fill, remember, the entire inside of your bike is coated with old contaminated oil, it's in the pump and any passages, etc
as soon as you put new oil in and start running it through the bike, it immediately picks up those contaminants
this is why you change it a second time, after warming it up and allowing the new temporary oil a chance to mix with the old contaminated residual oil in the system
once you drain a second time, there will still be the aforementioned residue inside and throughout, but it will be less contaminated
now that you've done your double oil change, warm the bike up one last time with a quick ride
obtain a sample and have it sent for ppm analysis by any of a number of capable testing laboratories....if it tests well, a third oil change is not needed

I love oil, we should have a whole section here dedicated just to oil

snipit 04-11-2024 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob (Post 21641861)
It's the same as standing at the urinal. Empty it out, shake it a bit to get the last few drops out, then button it up! :D

And when you get older, it takes a little longer to 'empty it out'.