General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backrest Spoiled

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 01:52 PM
07UltraGuy
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,387 Likes on 1,890 Posts

My cousin offered me a FREE Corbin solo seat and I politely refused it, simply because it didn't include the backrest provision.
Once you ride even a short distance w/ a backrest, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Helps relieve/eliminate a ton of back, neck, and shoulder pain after a long ride.

The following users liked this post:
maugusta1 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 01:55 PM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 481 Likes on 274 Posts

Backrest is a game changer. I prefer the aftermarket seats that have the receiver built in vs the Harley options that require the bracket to be installed. Thankfully I don't give two flying fu(ks whether someone thinks backrests (or fork deflectors, cup holders, you name it) are ugly. If they add to my comfort and/or convenience, I'm all in.

gonemad (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 02:09 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,939 Likes on 6,267 Posts

I made one for my wife's Dyna that has a solo seat. Gives her something to push against when she's backing up.
Bike isn't close right now, so sorry no pic.

Old 04-17-2024, 02:44 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,172 Likes on 729 Posts

Well... Perhaps a solution... Since the backrest pad is what changed and apparently caused the problem... How about a different pad?

https://saddlemen.com/sissy-bar-pads...-pad-universal

It mounts higher than the smaller Harley one I have (shown in the picture of my starting post). The bolt pattern is at the bottom vs. at the top of the Harley pad. It's much thinner than the Harley pad as well (1.5" vs. ~ 3"). If it solved the problem, I could send it out the RDL and have it recovered in the diamond stitch pattern so that it matches. Wouldn't that be something if it worked? Have to wait until the wife gets back from her business trip to start the experimentation. First stop... Sit her on the bike without the backrest pad in place to so how much room I need.

Old 04-17-2024, 03:18 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Old 04-17-2024, 03:51 PM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 481 Likes on 274 Posts

Seems like a good time to invest in that Tour Pak and scoot it all the way back on the two-up rack

Buelligan666 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 04:39 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gizmo83
Seems like a good time to invest in that Tour Pak and scoot it all the way back on the two-up rack
I thought of that too. It would probably solve the problem nicely... assuming we were taking a road trip. However, I'm guessing it wouldn't be all that desirable to have to put a tour pack on the thing every time I take the wife along for an afternoon ride. But, this is certainly something I'm looking at.

Right now... my luggage department is covered by this...

That bag (Nomad USA Bags Aero Expandable Motorcycle Sissy Bar Bag) is expandable and has pretty good capacity.

But a tour pack isn't out of the question for road trips.

I suppose for short outings with the wife, I could suck it up and go without the backrest if I had to. But, I'd like to solve this riddle, so that I have the option.

Old 04-18-2024, 08:21 AM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,835 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Never had a backrest on my bike so can't tell you what it's like riding with one, but riding without one? Well, I start to feel it on long rides at highway speeds. With the handle bar setup on my bike, wind always feels like it's trying to push me off the back. Probably be much different with a fairing or even a windshield though. Since I don't have support from a backrest and everything's just hitting me in the chest I feel it in the legs and hips as I alternate where the pressure builds. Tighten the core, takes pressure off the arms and hands, relax the core, put the pressure in the hands and arms, back and forth over and over. That'll usually get me from one point to another. Find it coincides with gas fill ups, so 112-115 miles straight doing 55-85mph. Once it starts to get a little more than just uncomfortable, oh good, I need to get gas anyway, type of thing. Get off, stretch, grab a soda stand around for a few and relax. Back on the bike and do it all over again.

Starting to get a little older and as much as I love my seat and dread the thought of changing it and the lines on my bike? A back rest is something I consider from time to time... Usually when I'm 150 miles away from home and know I've gotta do it all over again to get back.

Old 04-18-2024, 08:58 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,259 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Maybe check with Mean City Cycles? The mod seats, and I would think they could do back rests as well.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:14 PM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 482 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
Maybe check with Mean City Cycles? The mod seats, and I would think they could do back rests as well.
I have not seen backrests on their website as a category. Just Driver and Passenger. But yes, I would think they would. It doesn't hurt to ask.

That said, for the driver and passenger seats, they are very clear they will work on aftermarket seats, but there is an upcharge. I just did a brief search on the HD website and there are not a whole lots of choices for driver backrests. But yeah, what would you do, for example if you spent a whole lot of cash to upgrade padding, leather, and/or stitching on your seats and later, decided to drop in a backrest? What you're not going to do is start over.

Food for thought....

Last edited by bduds65; 04-18-2024 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Backrest Spoiled