General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "M" endorsement

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:44 PM
bum
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "M" endorsement

I don't have my "M" endorsement on my drivers license for the bike. I rode dirt bikes as a kid, rode a few street bikes as a teenager and now I have the Night Train and have had it for over a year. I have yet to get the endorsement because that means that I have to take time off work for a 3 day MSF or Riders Edge Course. I know it's illegal to ride without it, but Colorado will let me license the bike and insurance companies will let me insure it without the endorsement. So, in my opinion, what's the big deal if you have one or not? My insurance premium might be higher than the guy that does have it, but it's only about $10 more a month.
I bring all of this up because I was talking with a co-worker about it. He has his and basically scorned me for not having mine. My years of riding, whether it was dirt or street, outnumbered his by almost 5 years. Although, his years are consecutive. Whoopdeedoo!
If I find myself having the time to take off of work to take the MSF, I probably will do so. Until then, a couple of hours that I do get off early from work will be spent adding a few miles on the bike...without a stinkin' "M" endorsement.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 PM
badmo
Road Master
Default RE: The "M" endorsement

Nice train.

The M has been gone from Washington statefor a long time. Ours is a 3 flip the ID over and 3 =two wheel motorcycle only. Need to have a seperate endorsement for a trike in this state.

You should get it and be done with it. Just like truck drivers need a CDL as a sign they know the basics. True with anything though it does not mean they know how to drive a truck.

July 22nd in Washington state they impound your bike with no endorsement. I have heard after towing and impound fees and fines this racks up to about 1800 bones.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:56 PM
connsmith
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But you are depriving some mind numbed bureaucrat the joy of seeing your face at the DMV!!! Hey but its all good until you get in an accident or get stopped. I did in California and it cost me a few bucks before it was over. I also imagine your insurance carrier could refuse to pay your claim since you were driving illegally.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:01 PM
wild wally
Road Master

Take the MSF. You'll learn a lot about street strategy and accident avoidance, no matter how experienced you are. And statistics show a disproportianate number of unlicensed motorcycele riders are involved in accidents.

Wally

Old 08-29-2007, 10:03 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: connsmith

Hey but its all good until you get in an accident or get stopped. I did in California and it cost me a few bucks before it was over. I also imagine your insurance carrier could refuse to pay your claim since you were driving illegally.
This is the biggest reason you NEED to take the time off work or whatever and go get your paperwork correct. Whats the big deal...(In Jersey) take the written test....no appointment necessary.....10-20 days later take the road test.....done deal. The DMV around here is open on Saturdays even to take the written test, and when they schedule you for the road test your only there a hour or so. Even if your state is a bit harder.....whats one or two days off work???

Old 08-29-2007, 10:09 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The fine amount would be close to what wages you would lose (assuming you don't get paid vacation), should you be stopped and ticketed for driving outside of your licensing.

Yea, its a pain. But cheaper in the long run to just abide by the law.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are ever pulled over on a traffic stop on involved in an accident you may end up paying far more than it would cost to get the endorsement. In the event that another party was injured, lawyers could use the lack of the endorsement as a contributing factor which resulted in the injury of their client. A successful civil suit could result in a substantial loss of money.

Arcane

Old 08-29-2007, 10:29 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member

It's a real pain the **** to go to the DMV. Does your state require the MSF course for a license or can you just go get it. IF you pass the MSF do you automatically get the endorsement? We have to take a written test to get a permit then a driving test to get a license. CYA and go ahead and get one as others have said.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:39 PM
dsrtdoc
Cruiser

In Cal if you dont have the M indorcement and the Leo is in a foul mood he can impound your Train, not sure about Colorado but its driving without a license and realy not worth the headach. Rice safe. DSRTDOC

Old 08-29-2007, 11:16 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Get the endorsement, it's cheaper than the ticket will be for not having it.

Quick Reply: The "M" endorsement