General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belt guards

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 08:18 AM
firestop52
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default belt guards

Can I remove the belt guards, or at least the bottom ,with too much risk of damage? What are the risks, a rock in the belt? Has anyone done this?

Old 09-15-2007, 08:23 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: belt guards

they must have put them on for a reason,,,, you can buy chrome covers that go over the gaurd, dresses it up nice.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:46 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

told by several indy shops they always take the bottom guard off / I already had and ask if it would hurt they said it was better than getting junk caught up in it hurting the belt makes sense .. also just because the moco put it there does not mean there is a good reason for it they are not all knowing.....

Old 09-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

The bike I bought didn't have a lower belt guard on it. I have put over 4k on this summer without it. I plan on putting the chrome one on this winter. I think it's there for a reason, that's why I'm getting one. And it's more chrome... But either I have been lucky, or it doesn't do much.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:42 PM
DYNAMITE 1
Tourer

Just feel under the gaurd, and you'll see what a useless piece of .... that gaurd is

Old 09-15-2007, 01:29 PM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've ridden without either gaurd for over 3 years with no issues,including 1/2 mile on a dirt road to start and end each ride.In my opinion it looks much cleaner without them on.I imagine if the belt broke at speed I'd be wishing I left them on.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Blade68
Ultimate HDF Member

The top belt gaurd is not really too functional. It protects your passanger's foot/ankle. The lower belt gaurd however is functional. The lower protects your belt/sprocket from road debris. In all likelyhood, if you do get something in the belt and makes its way through it will be pulverized by the belt tension. However, you do run a greater risk of damaging the belt and sprocket teeth. Most riders go without incident but you have to ask yourself if the look is worth the potential cost of replacing a belt and/or sprocket.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:29 PM
DYNAMITE 1
Tourer

I think you've got it backwardsTop gaurd protects you and passenger. For somthing to get into the bottom of the belt, it would have to travel from the top down at an angle, and not bounce off the belt, before geting sucked in, andhitting at the perfect 100,000,000 to 1 angle on the belt and pully at the same time. And feel under your gaurd anyway, its completly open

Old 09-18-2007, 11:09 PM
NY Deuce
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: F.U.I.R.S.

I've ridden without either gaurd for over 3 years with no issues
I took off both about two years ago, no problems for me either so far.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:15 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

took mine off day the bike came home. other than my passenger getting her foot caught in the belt/pulley and maiming her for life nothing bad has happened. j/k, looks alot cleaner without it, and every bit of weight taken off just made your bike quicker.

Quick Reply: belt guards