General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible Pivot in my 16" Apes!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Jameson
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Horrible Pivot in my 16" Apes!! HELP

Alright I put myh aes on back in march and have dealt with the pivot for almost 6 months now. HOW DO I FIX THIS!! It pivots at the clamp. I read where you can use a Bicycle tube, but i just tried it and it got worse. Please let me know how to fix this problem. Thanks guys.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:43 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Horrible Pivot in my 16" Apes!! HELP

do the bars still have the gnarl in them??

Old 09-16-2007, 03:54 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like your bars diameter is smaller than your clamps ID

Old 09-16-2007, 04:03 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior

Can u make like u'r rowing a boat cursing down the road??? Man u need to fix that!!!! First time u grab for leverage or man handle a sitiuation your going down.....ahh hell u been riding that way for 6 months,,,sounds like u adjusted....

Old 09-16-2007, 04:10 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,738 Likes on 1,555 Posts

If is not in the bushing and it's really the bars moving in the clamp then do this....

Take a beer can, cut two "shims" out of it. Place the shim between the bars and the clamps. Tighten down...

I've been doing this for years, bikers have been doing this for years, motorcross guys have been doing this for years....

Works..and is cheap.

lp

ORIGINAL: Jameson

Alright I put myh aes on back in march and have dealt with the pivot for almost 6 months now. HOW DO I FIX THIS!! It pivots at the clamp. I read where you can use a Bicycle tube, but i just tried it and it got worse. Please let me know how to fix this problem. Thanks guys.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:17 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior

lp,,,,I don't think they make beer can anymore,,,,think its all aluminum,,,how about a soup can???
whatever u do Jameson,,,make sure u can lift that bike wit out moving them bars.....

ORIGINAL: lp

If is not in the bushing and it's really the bars moving in the clamp then do this....

Take a beer can, cut two "shims" out of it. Place the shim between the bars and the clamps. Tighten down...

I've been doing this for years, bikers have been doing this for years, motorcross guys have been doing this for years....

Works..and is cheap.

lp

Old 09-16-2007, 04:21 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,738 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Thats what I'm talking about..aluminum shims... You can actually buy these at a motorcross shop, but why? If you have an empty beer or soda can use that...

lp

ORIGINAL: YUCK

lp,,,,I don't think they make beer can anymore,,,,think its all aluminum,,,how about a soup can???
whatever u do Jameson,,,make sure u can lift that bike wit out moving them bars.....

ORIGINAL: lp

Works..and is cheap.

lp

Old 09-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Jameson
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ill have to try that, Im hopingits that easy. Thanks for all the help..

Old 09-16-2007, 10:26 PM
DYNAMITE 1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont have internal wires, drill a 1/4 inch hole in both the top of the riser, and the top of the bar. Make sure it is exactly wher you want the bars to be as this will make it permanent. Than use a 1/4 inch bolt with the top cut off and insert it into bot the holes. It was the best thing I ever did to mine.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:08 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know what kind of setup you have but I had to order a kit from wild1 that's chrome and goes inbetween the bars and the top riser clamps. Without them my bars would be loose as heck.

Look at yer bars and call them and ask about their kit if you want to spend the money.

Quick Reply: Horrible Pivot in my 16" Apes!! HELP