General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dirt road?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:28 AM
rreffner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt road?

Got a chance to buy a nice home with 10 acres in the country. A really nice place. Problem is it's on a dirt road. About 1/2 mile of soft sand. Very little shoulder. Oh, what to do?

Old 09-18-2007, 04:51 AM
Obi68
Road Captain
Default RE: Dirt road?

i made the move to the country almost 11 years ago. my bike gets dusty, dirty, muddy, bug encrusted, but - hey, it washes off. i don't regret it a bit. kids have room to play. they can ride go carts and mini bikes wherever they want, shoot off fireworks, and even pee off the porch, (if you've never done it-you don't know what you're missin', the jehovah witness people will never come back to my house again!).

Obi

Old 09-18-2007, 05:06 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I grew up on a dirt road and a lot of the times in the spring without a 4wd you had to walk.Personally will never live like that again,I hope.That is not to say that it would have to be that way today,with the right material for a surface it could be quite nice.Good Luck

Old 09-18-2007, 05:24 AM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rreffner

Got a chance to buy a nice home with 10 acres in the country. A really nice place. Problem is it's on a dirt road. About 1/2 mile of soft sand. Very little shoulder. Oh, what to do?
If it's what you want it's worth it. I've lived on a mile of dirt road for 11 years now. Bikes and cars and trucks all stay dirty, but I don't give a crap. It's where I want to live.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:05 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,289 Likes on 5,666 Posts

Put down some gravel. It will be better than dirt and cheaper than paving the driveway.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:48 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Consider approaching the local government and finding out if something like chip sealing isn't on the agenda or couldn't be placed on the agenda..

Old 09-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Capt.Bob
Tourer

Where in N. Florida are you talking about? I'm in the Jax. area. I have lived in the woods for going on 30 years. My place is .5 mile down the worst sugar sand road you will ever encounter. I cannot ride my Ultra down it. I have a flat bed trailer I use to haul long lumber on. I bought it for my remodeling bussiness but put a Bike Pro chock on the front and I can have either of my bikes loaded faster than it takes to hook up the trailer. I have a deal with the guy that lives at the hard road to park my trailer there when I ride. I never do all this for a trip to the store for loaf of bread kind of thing. When I crank up my bike we ride all day are we are gone on a trip. I would say go for the place in the country. Just be willing to do what it takes to enjoy the one of the greatest sports in the world. BTW being able to walk out in your backyard and sling some lead 100 meters down range is pretty special also.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:05 AM
vabubba
Tourer

I hear ya. I bought 18 acres in the spring this year and it's 1 1/2 miles of dirt road. I can't wait to move out there as soon as my house sells. The sand would be alot worse than the dirt would be. How long is the sand? Look into getting gravel put down. Bubba

Old 09-18-2007, 08:52 AM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it,,,,buy some beach handlebars or buckhorns......

Old 09-18-2007, 08:59 AM
theoldguy
Tourer

I'd say go for it, and put a small garage or barn or something at the end of the drive to park your bike in, and a ATV for getting back and forth to the house

Quick Reply: Dirt road?