General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley VS Gerbings Heated Vest & Gloves

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:11 AM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Harley VS Gerbings Heated Vest & Gloves

Getting too old to "endure" cold weather riding. Looking into heated vest and gloves.HD and Gerbings cost about the same. Gerbings has a liketime warrenty which is a big plus. Anyone had both for a comparision? Pros/cons?

Old 09-21-2007, 06:49 AM
BluePotato
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Harley VS Gerbings Heated Vest & Gloves

There's a very recent thread in this forum about this very topic. It's only 1-2 days old. The skinny is that Gerbings is the manufacturer of HD heated clothing. It's the same stuff but with an HD logo on it.

I'm looking to buy some heated clothes myself (jacket liner and perhaps the gauntlet gloves). I'll probably try the sizes on at the dealer and then shop around for the best price.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:19 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the HD heated gloves,jacket liner and dual thermostat control. Works great and I love it for cold weather riding. I went with the HD stuff since I could try it on at the dealer. The Gerbings is more trial and errorif they don't fitthe first time.

But tobe honest, you can't go wrong with either.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My Widder electric vest is 14 years old and is getting thread bare in the collar. I was thinking about Gerbings heated jacket liner too, however you should know that even though Gerbing makes HD, the sizes translate differently. I found I fit an HD Mens Small, but when I called Gerbings they told me they do not go with the S/M/L/XL/XXL/XXXL ratings, and instead use measurments. I measured my chest (41), and my arms (32), and they said I was a 44/36.

In the mean time I found these two other types of heated cycle gear.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/products/phg.php
http://www.warmnsafe.com/heated_jac...er_specs.php

I think I am going to go with the Warm and Safe liner because it fits sungger than the HD/Gerbings did, (anda liner that fits closer to the skin iswarmer). It also does not have ribbed cuffs which are not heated like the Gerbings/HD. I found those cufffs to bebulky under my jacket. AndWarm and Safe gives discountsto member of the Delphi Touring Fourm.

Something else to think about.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:28 PM
motorcycle
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEATRULER

Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

They are the same. The warranty is the same. Gerbings warrants the HD stuff after the HD's first year warranty expires.

The bonus to getting Gerbing stuff over the HD labeled stuff is that it is cheaper and can be taylor ordered to fit. You send them your exact measurements and they give you what you need to fit and will make custom fits at no extra charge.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The differences between the two brands are size-wise, and the power plug style on the gear.

Harley specifies to Gerbings what ONE and ONLY size they want made for them with respect to S, M, and L, etc. They come with the SAE ended plugs that match the battery tender cord on Harleys. When you buy Gerbings-branded stuff you can get the whole gamut of sizes and they use a different style cord end, although they do make an adapter you can buy to convert between the two.

In Harley sizes (eg: a jacket liner in my case) I fit a Medium, but the sleeves are too short. (I would never fit into a Medium in any other HD clothing; I'm normally an XL) In Gerbings I fit what they call a 50/36. The Gerbing 50 is about the equivalent chest size of a HD Medium. The sleeve length (36) is a tad longer than the HD Medium. Don't be confused by the 50; Gerbings has their own sizing numbers. There is no way I have a 50" chest. Just go to their website and see how they do it on the sizing chart. They tell you where to measure and how to convert the numbers to what you'll need to order.
If you fit a Harley size perfectly you won't have to go through the whole 'measuring' thing.

I have no idea how the prices compare between the Harley labelled stuff and Gerbings stuff in the stores. Just remember when buying heated gear you want it to fit 'somewhat' snug. They work best when the elements are held in contact with your body.

Hope this helps.......and I understand Widder is on it's way out so there might be some deals to be had there. Check them out too.

CN

Old 01-29-2008, 07:44 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Comfortably,

HD stuff now has the coax plugs on the end. It all got swapped over a few years ago.

http://*******.com/36cyps

Old 01-29-2008, 08:46 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like Warmnsafe and Powerlet are the same vest and gloves also.

Anyone tried the Kanetsu Airvantage Vest from Aerostich?
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...t-p-18911.html

Old 01-29-2008, 08:50 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The Kanetsu vest has an air bladder you inflate to form a custom fit.

Quick Reply: Harley VS Gerbings Heated Vest & Gloves