General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike shipping..

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:19 AM
ccmd2b
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike shipping..

Just purchased my first Harley Davidson! Really excited and I'll post pics as soon as it arrives. Just had a couple of questions.. First off, the shipping company was really nice but they're transporting my bike in an open trailer which I'm not sure how to feel about. They said they could put a tarp on the bike but they didn't suggest it because it can wear the paint and that those bikes are made to ride in the rain so it's not going to hurt the bike. They seem really professional so I trusted their judgement but would have rather had it shipped in a covered trailer. .any opinions? Secondly, would it hurt to store your bike in a covered trailer if you don't have a garage? Even if the trailer is non vented?

Thanks for any info,
C

Old 10-18-2007, 12:26 AM
ae4782tt
Road Master
Default RE: Bike shipping..

I've got a couple buds that use a trailer as a garage for their bike. I'll have to ask em ifthey arevented. My guess is any trailer is vented to a certain extent...unless its a reefer trailer! It would be easy to put some vents in anyways.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:14 AM
4merRacer
Road Master

Well, considering whatever rain it gets won't be too much, it shouldn't pose a problem. Just make sure you clean it really well when you get it. If you aren't absolutely sure how/where/what to clean, have someone detail it the first time. The slightest little bit of dirt will scratch the hell out of it. HD only puts about one layer of clear coat so it doesn't take much to go right through it. It happened to me. [:@]

Old 10-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you don't try to heat the unvented trailer during the cold winter months there won't be any condensation build up and the bike should be OK... I keep my bike in a seperate garage away from my house but from time to time I also work in this garage and heat it up while working.. and an condensation builds up on the windows so I know there is moisture in the air as the heated air seeks the cold surfaces, ie window and metal objects. Therefore, I also run a de-humidifier to help in keeping some of the moisture contained.

Winter storage for a cold bike in a cold trailer poses no problem in my opnion..

Now is trailer spelled with and "e" or an "o"...... Trailer... or Trailor?!

Old 10-18-2007, 10:29 AM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only concern I would have on a trailer would be gasoline fumes.