General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does your riding skill degrade over winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:22 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: does your riding skill degrade over winter

sfarson, OUTSTANDING photos! I can see myself caught out in something like that (though around here, the sun wouldn't be out (Pittsburgh PA).

I don't see any reason not to ride at least some in the winter. Snow and ice make it difficult or impossible, but if the roads are dry, the whole day goes better if I ride. Heated gloves and vest make it quite comfortable. I'm not cold until I walk across the parking lot at work.

I wouldn't ride my Road King on salted roads; I don't want the chrome ruined. That's why they make other brands of motorcycles (BMW, in my case).

Old 11-07-2007, 05:26 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Nope, didnt degrade over the 20 years I didnt have a bike either.

MikeM

Old 11-07-2007, 05:39 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

What little you lose you gain back in a very short time.Not even worth thinking about.Winter for me is just as much fun as summer season.It just means the projects that need to be done inside will now get done.I cannot imagine not having Four Seasons.I feel bad for you that have to deal with intense heat.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:48 AM
x2lee
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its a rote skill like riding a bike, your body doesnt forget how to do it, That being said, what do i know I ride year round. I did NOT fly a aircraft for 3 years and then put her down sweetly on the numbers on my bi-annual review tho...
ORIGINAL: Comfortably Numb

Absolutely!
But really wanna see your skills deteriorate? Try havin' a stroke.

CN

Old 11-07-2007, 07:40 AM
nidan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I ride through the winter , despite the cold temps, I don't ride as long or as often.
I'd say my skills get a bit rusty compared to peak riding season.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:19 PM
SG Mike
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Comfortably Numb

Absolutely!
But really wanna see your skills deteriorate? Try havin' a stroke.

CN
CN,

Sorry to hear that! Glad you could be here to point it out.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:21 PM
crash1292
Banned

wtf?

Old 11-07-2007, 05:23 PM
crash1292
Banned

ORIGINAL: mark10

so up north here the cold weather is here, soon to be followed by ice and snow. so the bike is put to hibernation for a bit.

for those of you who don't ride it during these next 4 months or so - does your riding skill degrade over the winter.

in the spring are your turns not as smooth as they were the last time you rode. do you take turns a little slower with less lean. your stops just a bit more wobbly then before.

not that it last for ever, but just ain't quit there to begin with.
what a stupid fkn post....................

Old 11-07-2007, 07:02 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

No.....but my patience and tolerance levels degrade dramatically!!![&o]

Old 11-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that! Glad you could be here to point it out.
Thanks mcdowell25

I've been off work for 16 weeks now. I lost the whole summer basically. I was not capable of riding for about 2 months after the stroke, but I'm about 90 + % now. Had to learn to walk and use my left hand all over again. My balance was just brutal...or rather, the feedback while walking was brutal. My head was tellin' me I was way off balance when I wasn't so I was walking just like I was really drunk. Picture walking down the street hangin' onto all the lampposts and street signs. A real sight. I was messing up my ankles and knees having to recover from falling all the time. Once my walking got so-so I tried riding. It was just pitiful. Could only ride in a straight line. Had to stop and paddle through a corner. No kidding.
There was a time there when I thought I was even going to have to sell my RK and never ride again.

I'll say one thing....and call it preaching or whatever; but I see a lot of guys out riding who are waaay overweight, and if they aren't already taking meds for Hypertension, Type II Diabetes, and high cholesterol, they're headed down that path, I can assure you. A decent stroke will be the end of their riding futures. I'll bet nobody here bargained for that.
I was lucky...my stroke was minor enough that I will recover fully. I only had the Hypertension beforehand and I didn't carry all that much bodyfat. The killer for me was not enough exercise and high stress at work. It was a wakeup call for me, if you can even call that lucky. The way it has been explained to me is that it 'was better to have it now and survive, than keep going the way I was for 5 more years and then have it put me in a wheelchair.' (or in the ground)
Everywhere I go these days I see people at extreme 'high risk' Many of 'em ride Harleys. Yeah, I know....it'll never happen to you. That's what I thought too.

Sermon over.

CN

Quick Reply: does your riding skill degrade over winter