General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where in Arizona...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:38 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where in Arizona...

can I ride at the end of January? I will be going to Tucson Jan 26 for a few days and would like to rent for two or three days. Can anybody give me a route, where to go or where not?

Comments much appreciated.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Where in Arizona...

Bisbee via Tombstone. Take I-10 south to the83 then south to 82. Move east on 82 to 80 then south to Tombstone. After Tombstone, keep going southon 80 to Bisbee. About 111 miles. Nice day trip.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:00 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look at thevery N.E. corner of your Tucson City map for the intersection of Tanque Verde and Catalina Highway. Go N. on Catalina Hwy and you will have a ride on a beautiful road going from 2,000 feet elevation to over 8,000 feet. It is 27 miles from the base to the top. It is thru a National Forest and there are many pull offs and rest stop areas. Being a National Forest there is a $5.00 fee collected just above the 4,000 foot level but the ride is well worth it. This is perhaps the best ride there is in all of Southern Arizona. At the very top is the little community of Summerhaven which was almost destroyed by a fire 6 years ago. Stop at the first restaurant on your left for some pie and ice cream. Very pricey but very good.

Later that day or the next day go E. on highway 10 to the intersection of 83 and go S. to Sonoita. Turn left (east) on82. Just after you turn is a restaurant on the left side that is good for a lunch or coffee stop. Continue to the intersectionor 80 and turn riaght (S.) to the town of Tombstone. It's appx. 80 miles from Tucson. It's a must see if you've never been there before. If you like silver jewelry go to one or both of Arlenes stores. Even though it's a tourist town her stuff is as good or better thananything you'll find anywhere else (no I don't own it!!)

Depending on your schedule there is also the former mining town of Bisbee which is just south of Tombstone about 20 miles. About 20 miles further from Bisbee is Douglas, Az which sets right on the Mexican border. It's an easy park on this side and walk to the other side for a visit to Aqua Prieta, Mexico if you're so inclined.

Good luck and enjoy your visit.

P.S. I should have added: Yes you can ride in January. It gets cold at night but warms up more than enough for riding when the sun comes up.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Roofuss96
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay out of my neck of the woods if ya wanna ride reasonably warm , LOL !! Been in the mid teens at night, and only high 30's low 40's daytime up here in the central mountains . Gonna be that way for awhile they say ..........nice in summer, but kinda Brrrrrrrrrrrrr........ this time of year !

Old 12-26-2007, 06:09 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior

Thanks. Is it warm even at the altitudes mentioned? I am flying in so have to think about what riding clothes to pack.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:12 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

ORIGINAL: liltrk

Thanks. Is it warm even at the altitudes mentioned? I am flying in so have to think about what riding clothes to pack.

No, its not warm at 8000ft.
If I were you i would keep to the lower elevations. The Tombstone Bisbee ride sounds nice. Tombstone is a really cool place.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:13 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior

I will not be going up to the central Mt. area. If I want to be cold I can stay home !!! LOL Might go east a bit from Tucson.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:27 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How high someone can predict you can go in another month or two is pretty hard to do. It varies from one day to another. What you do is head up Mt. Lemon and when and if conditions turn too cold you turn around. Simple enough!

Old 12-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Newhog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go east, again it's colder as you are climbing in elevation. If you want to stay comfortable head toward Phoenix.A pretty ride would be similar to Whapp'ssuggestion except head toward Florence through Oracle, and then get on the path that takes youtoward the Lost Dutchmen’s mine and Tortilla Flats.At that point you would be on the very east side of the Phoenix metrovalley and could goanywhere from there, or back to Tucson. It's all two lane and very pretty.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:06 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior

Thanks guys for the good advice.

Quick Reply: Where in Arizona...