General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmets that flip up

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:21 PM
steel insane
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Full face helmets that flip up

I like it... the bottom chin bar is removable.

ORIGINAL: mimo

Checkout this baby... I want one of this Schubert's J1 haven't found 'em in America, just websites in Europe.

Mimo.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:31 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Fulmer Modus modular helmet with the flip face shield. However, I rarely wear it except when it's cold, like now. I don't ride with it flipped up unless and/or until I'm going through a town or something at 35 mph or less. The brand of helmet you get is not going to matter. If it's that style, it's going to catch wind when it's flipped up.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:06 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: steel insane

Checkout this baby... I want one of this Schubert's J1 haven't found 'em in America, just websites in Europe.

Mimo.
Exactly, that is what turns it into a safe full face...

Regards,

Mimo.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:09 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is one sweet looking helmet,Mimo!

Old 01-03-2008, 03:23 PM
steelhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one I used exclusively for a year and a half. It is branded HD but I thinkI is made by Nolan or THC. I found that I rarely rode with it down so I ended up getting a half-helmet that I now wear for 90% of my riding. I ride a RKC with a windshield and I never experienced signfificant turbulence problems from having it flipped up. Actually, one caveat to that statement. One time I had left the visor partially cracked and then accelerated onto the highway with the front up. Around 65 mph the visor was thrown full-open. The neck pull went from almost nothing to significant and the wind noise also shot through the roof. Took me a second to figure out what the hell happened. After that, I always made sure the visor was close fully.

Now I ride with a Bell Drifter the majority of the time and rarely use the modular. One place the modular really shines though is riding in the rain. The half-helmet sucks for that.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Vicrider
Cruiser

I have a Shoei Modular full face that I wear a lot. It's cool in the hot summers and warm in the colder months. I never get too hot in it but make sure you're sitting down before you price them. I think I paid close to $500 or a little over but it is truly an excellent helmet.

I could suggest my 3/4 style helmet that I have made by Scorpion EXO-100 series. It has the flip down visor that goes up and down and would be great for a long ride and I have used it many times on long rides and it has worked great. (Accept in the rain)

Old 01-03-2008, 04:00 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wear the Nolan modular. Love it and will replace it with the same thing again when the time comes.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Fishrdr
Cruiser

I believe I have read where the flip up helmets do not have any or anywhere near the protection of a full face helmet. If that affects your decision.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:11 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Fishrdr

I believe I have read where the flip up helmets do not have any or anywhere near the protection of a full face helmet. If that affects your decision.
For siome of the cheaper versions, that's true. If you buy a quality helmet like a Nolan, the protection is the same as a solid full face. With the chin bar up or removed, then it offers the same protection as a 3/4 helmet.

Flip ups do tend to be heavier.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: steel insane

Mimo.
Exactly, that is what turns it into a safe full face...

Regards,

Mimo.
This helmet has been out for a while...I wish they would offer it in the US. I wear a 3/4 because I get claustaphobic in a full face. I was thinking I could get a bit more protection and be less claustaphobic with the full window it gives.

I have a HD modular too. Hubby stole it because I didn't wear it. He tends to like the full face so is happy with the combo. He likes it because he can flip it up at stops and actually talk, drink, smoke....etc.

Quick Reply: Full face helmets that flip up