General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would you handle this???? ( kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Ybnormal67
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How would you handle this???? ( kinda long)

Hey all,
Just wanted some opinions on how you would have handled this situation.............
The wife wanting to suprise me for Christams went to the local dealer and purchased a leather jacket with out me knowing about it. I get on Christmas try it on and come to find out don't like the way it fits. I take it back and try on almost every other jacket they have on the rack and they all fit me the same crappy.....I tell the sales counter I can't find anything on the rack I like and I'll be back ina week or so to see if they have any new stock.A week goes by and I take the jacket in still can't find one I like and I am told I have to wait 10 days before I can return the jacket for a refund due to my wife paying by check. I understand everything is cool up to this point.......I go in today and I am at the point I just want my money back cause I found a place that sells awesome jackets that fit the way I like for about 250 cheaper than the stealer. Anyway I go to the counter and the sales person say she will have to talk to the owner due to not having enough cash in the drawer they will have to cut me a check.........She comes back and says I have good news and bad...We will take the jacket back and give you store credit or exchange for other merchandise but no refund. I talked to the owner of the store and she tells me it is store policy no cash refund after 30 days. Well she said the purchace date was when my wife started the lay a way ( Nov 1 st ). I thought a purchase was not completed until you pay in full and take it home. Anyway we argure about what it says on the sales slip ( absolutely nothing about lay a ways ) I get upset and end up getting the store credit. I had no choice. I am way p#ssed off now. She was the owner and could have changed the policy for my situation but chose treat me like an idiot. Heres my thinking I spend $ 16,000 on a bike in your store ask for a little help in returningan item that I do not want and get treated like a dog. Well I just decided that I will be going to a different shop to make my purchases from now on..

Starved Rock Harley, Illinois.........................watch your wallet.................

Thoughts on this????????????????????????

Old 01-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: How would you handle this???? ( kinda long)

lets face it, THEY want to KEEP your money. PERIOD!!! Myself, I would have given , A your money, or B.exchanged the jacket for something YOU wanted.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:23 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortunately there's not much else you could do besides raising stink right there in the store. I would think that if the final sales slip had a date on it that was with in the 30 days then they should owe you a refund. Of course they know there's not much you can do ove the price of a jacket, so they made their own rules. Sometimes business owners amaze me by taking a simple situation and screwing it up to the point that in the long run they lose business.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well it's water under the bridge now and you can't go back in time to change what happened, but I suppose if I were in that situation I would have taken the store credit, bought something else like chrome for the bike and used up the store credit. Then I would have told the owner, this will be the last transaction together and from now on I'm shopping at <blank> dealer. There's really not much else you can do unfortunately.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:58 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hard to understand the way some businesses operate. I'm always taking things back so I rarely will buy something from a store unless they have a liberal return policy. Home Depot and Lowes probably have a file with my picture on it. But sometimes you don't have any choice and you take your chances.

Couldn't find anything there for your wife either?.Boots, jacket?Something will cometo mind. Consider it a lesson learned.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Wcross
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like they could've bent a little bit for you since you bought your bike there. That's why I had to tell my wife to stop trying to "suprise" me with any type of clothes. Small waist+ big chest & arms = most everything fitting like sh$t or just plain not comfortable.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

should have lit up a cig and pissed on the floor. Go back and gett it back dont leave untill you get it back. Thats basically theft if they got the jacket now and still have your money thats theft in my book.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Lockman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're makin' them pay right now Dude! This is what it's all about! Hell, I'm sending them an E-Mail right now on your behalf. They lost another customer!!! It may not get you satisfaction at the store, but you can sure spread the word On-line!

I did it with Home Depot...they contacted Me after my complaints!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:42 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let it go. The store will lose more than $250 by not having your continued business. Also, if you influence any of your friends or co-workers to buy a motorcycle at another dealer it will be their loss.

If it makes you feel better use them to check sizes and products, then order your HD merchandise through Zanottis or another on-line discounter.

One of these days, all these new dealerships will see that Harley's aren't "in style" anymore. The ones that didn't cultivate loyal customers will wake up and see that their own $h!t really does stink.

The parts guys at Skagit knew both me and my wife by name. If I ever took something back it was a quick question why and then a done deal. Would still be going thereif I hadn't moved. When I told them I was moving, the parts manager said if I had any problems finding partsor tech info just to give them a call.

Like anything there is good and bad.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:48 PM
dastark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're loss. Tell your friends of the bad experience. Don't let it eat you up. If it'll make you feel better, write a nicely polished letter of complaint to the corp. Then you'll know you've exausted all possibilities.

Quick Reply: How would you handle this???? ( kinda long)