General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Kit problems on Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:02 AM
bandjw01
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Kit problems on Ultra Classic

My brother-in-law (a great guy) recently bought a 2006 Electra Glide Ultra Classic. He is short and the dealer suggested a rear lowering kit which they installed. They didn't have the parts and it took a couple weeks to get them. After installation of the lowering kit the bikes frame will hit the road when you hit a bump. The dealer doesn't seem to believe this? Service department says they have installed hundreds of these kits, some even in additionto lowering shock and never had this problem. Others suggest the bike must have been wrecked. Dealer says this bike was bought new there and all service done there. Never any problems with this bike. Any body got any ideas of what is going on, how to fixthis without removing the lowering kit? Or how to lower this bike without dragging on the road?
Thanks,

Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Lowering Kit problems on Ultra Classic

I have the same bike with the "profile" shocks in the rear. No problems. Is there air in the shocks? Maybe the shocks are defective.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:36 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Is he sure the frame is hitting the road, there will bescratches if it is.
Mine will occasionally bottom out (Rear tire against the inside of the fender) if
thepressure in the shocks is low.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:02 AM
4x4Given
Tourer

I really doubt the "frame" is coming in contact with the road surface. As the previous poster stated, it is more likely a suspension bottoming or tire rub issue. One thing not clear about the description of the symtpom, was is it a "bump" noise, a "bump" feeling, a "grind" or "scrap" noise etc.

Even if you removed the rear shocks and front springs completely, allowing the bike suspension to resttotally bottomed out, the frame isn't going to contact the ground.

My 95 Ultra is lower 2" front AND rear and there is no problem, even with two riders and some gear. I run about 25psi in the rear and around 12 - 15psi in the front.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:05 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

I wrote a piece with photos and calculations on HD's lowering kit for the front forks if you search. They have 3/4" of travel including riders sag before going ionto the stiff part of their progressively wound spring. If you wish your bike to not bottom out, you may wish to research our 1" lowered "X Factor" Cartridge system and Penske 11 1/2" shocks. These cost money, around $2,500, give or take, for the package. There is none finer on the market considering the limitations of a 100 lb front end. Several members have installed them on this forum.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:53 AM
prc1333
Tourer

I had my 08 CVO UC loweredand had the same problem. Checked when I got home and the air leaked at the valve. put in recommended air, took it to the dealer, same problem, bottomed out. My buddy told me to put in 29 lbs in rear and it rides great. It is definately riding firm, but it doesn't bottom out and it handles like a dream.

Increase air in rear.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:40 AM
bandjw01
Novice

Thanks for all your replies. The dealer said the bike was bought new and all service was done there when they sold the bike. It turns out not to be true. The bike had been wrecked and the frame was bent. It wasn't noticed until the lowering kit was installed. The dealer finally offered to take the bike back on trade for a left over 07 Road King. More money but everyone is happy!

Old 02-22-2008, 04:09 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Without me reading through all the replies, what I would suggest is this.......

First if the shocks are air adjustable, make sure they are set at the correct PSI for the gross weight of the bike/passenger/bags. Then with the correct type of gauge (low pressure air suspension type) hooked up.....and the shocks aired up.....leave the gauge on, and keep a eye on it to make sure the air (pressure) is not going down slowly, indicating a faulty shock(s) or one of the lines or the fittings could have a slow leak.
If there is no air adjustment, get hold of a spaner, and tighten the compression damping by turning the spring stop one or two notches.
If none of that works, find another bike same year/model with the same suspension set up, and measure everything as accurately as you can....then compare that to yours. Then go back to the dealer with your results and the method you used to get the numbers.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:47 AM
benman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sir are lucky, a dealer that admits they were wrong AND does something about it! WOW.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:10 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

ORIGINAL: benman

You sir are lucky, a dealer that admits they were wrong AND does something about it! WOW.

Yep, the dealer deserves kudos on this.

Quick Reply: Lowering Kit problems on Ultra Classic