General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new blinker mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Duck
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new blinker mod

I bought the turn signal relocation kit and installed it. The kit moved the blinkers off of the bars but they stuck out so far that they looked like a second set of handlebars. i came up with this mod to correct the problem. if interested send me a pm for more details.

[IMG]local://upfiles/42340/09CE2B0E7D42412290D954392509A123.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Duck
Advanced
Default RE: new blinker mod

any opinions would be appreciated. i know im asking for it but go ahead i can take it

Old 02-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Drum
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Duck

any opinions would be appreciated.
Well Duck, I know where your coming from, I had the relocation kit on my lowrider and I also agree they stuck out a tad too far. But I don't really care for them signals in that palce, just looks weird. Was there any way you could have cut down the stems from the other ones?

Old 02-19-2008, 12:54 AM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

The more I looked at it on your bike, the better it looked. I don't think I'd do it that way on mine, but that's just me. As long as you like it, that's all that matters. I applaud your creativity.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:58 AM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did the same thing to my bike when i got it. removed the stems from the rear lights and snugged them into the chrome strip on the fender and relocated my frts to the forks, then to the inside of the forks like you did cause they look lame sticking out so much, then i realized that flashers just look like doo doo no matter where they are located so i relocated them to the trashcan.i thinkit looks a lot cleaner without them.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:38 AM
Blade68
Ultimate HDF Member

I think it was a very original idea. I have never seen it before. Creativity +4 looks -1...

Old 02-19-2008, 04:14 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the same kit installed on my 03' Deuce. I also think they stick out just a bit too far.....but that is the point. on my deuce the front turn signals are not only signal lights, but also running lights. With the amount of *** holes on the road growing every day, I like people to see me as quickly and easily as they can. I like them to know what my intentions are and what direction I am traveling. I think that with the stems sticking out as far as they do with the kit, it makes it just a tad more visible.....sort of like ack lights. even with that all said, I have still been thinking about just cutting like a inch off each stem. The only problem with that is, the stems are tapered, and if you do cut them down, the end of the stem may not match up correctly with the bullet housing on the signal lights.
What I plan on is to just get a few miles on the bike with the kit just the way it is, and if it turns out I dont like it like that, then I will cut them or buy a different kit or something. I just dont like the kit that uses a clamp like base to hold it to the fork. Its just way too easy to do damage to the fork like that. Either by over tightening the clamp, or hitting something with it....or whatever.

As for how you have yours set up.....mounted inside the forks like that......to be totally honest, I just dont like it. It looks weird like that.

There are some VERY small turn signal sets available through after market dealers, and if your looking for small or "stealth" effect then I think that would be the way to go.....but then you still run into the problem of people no seeing you well enough.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:07 AM
Velocity1
Tourer

Cudos and points to you for innovation. It's your ride. If you're happy with the unique look, great. If you haven't already changed out the amber lenses for the smoked ones with amber bulbs, that's the only change I'd make. Nice job. I've also seen them mounted up inside the tree on each side of the headlight, a little neater more compact looking, but not as easily seen in traffic. Cool mod using what you had to work with.

V1

Old 02-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Duck
Advanced

i was thinking the same thing all of you were. i just needed a couple of outside opinions. a guy told me today to put them down by my footpegs. anyone tried this?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:10 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried the same thing but didn't like the look so I ditched the spacers and used a allen head bolt to bolt the signal straight to the bracket. It took over an inch off the width. Looks much better than before.

Not a great pic for seeing the signals but you get the idea.

Quick Reply: new blinker mod