General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering with a Bike Pro/Harbor Freight wheel chock??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:28 AM
air_marshall
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering with a Bike Pro/Harbor Freight wheel chock??

I'm looking for some feedback/opinions on trailering with either the Bike Pro or Harbor Freight wheel chocks. Both of these look fairly similar and a friend has one of the Harbor Freight chocks that he mounted on his lift. (It works great on the lift, holds the bike solidly and we think he only needs to add a couple of tie downs for peace of mind.)

Anyways, when I put my Fatboy in the chock, they way the tire sits up off the base of the chock and is pushed into the front bar of the chock makes me wonder what that would do to the tire after a 1000 miles in the trailer. We figured maybe a small piece of wood under the tire might help but maybe I don't need to worry about it at all, just not sure.

Looking forward to hearing what any members here that have used them have to say.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2008, 01:03 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Trailering with a Bike Pro/Harbor Freight wheel chock??

My dads an older guys and trailers to some events he has the bike pro expensive but nice and he puts his 2003 Ultra in it with no problems and no tire problems.

Now here is how i look at it.

Harbor freight chock $29 bucks

Bike pro $150 bucks

$20,000 harley in a trailer over 1,000 miles to go hmmmmmmmm you get what you pay for and in lock the brakes up stop or near miss traficc accident would you put your trust in a $29 harbor freight chock to not break or the $150 dollar bike pro??????????

I have seen the quality that comes out of harbor freight and to just lock down a bike on a stand in a garage ya sure buy one. In a trailer no way and hell would i use it.

Always kills me that guys spend 20k on a bike then will put it on a $50 lift thats a big investment your taking a chance on to save a buck.

Iam not rich and know that you got to save were you can but not sure thats were i would do it.

also you can get the chocks that don't flip up you just ride into them and strap the bike down we have several of those also.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:15 AM
air_marshall
Advanced

Ohio, thanks for the input. I know what you're saying about getting what you pay for but I was considering the chock more to be an aid in parking the bike upright while I get the tie downs on it than relying on it to take most of the load. What I was concerned about was the pressure (if any??) from the way the fronttire wedges into the chock and has to stay there till I get to the other end.

Thanks again, I appreciate being able to get some differing opinions on here and then try and make up my own wrong mind.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:30 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know the bike pro will hold a 2003 ultra in place while you strap it down. And it also pushs on the tire but dad has had no problems and has trailered several times from Ohio to sturgis and back 3,000 miles and to Daytona and back several times no problems.

If that give you any more idea on the tire issues.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:33 AM
Capt.Bob
Tourer

I have both of the chocks you are talking about. I bought the Bike Pro before the HF chocks came out. The only thing I like better about the Bike Pro is the fact that it can be removed from my trailer easily. The HF has no quick disconnect devise. I would trust either one with confidence.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:45 AM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome. i was having the same question about the harbor freight unit. hopefully, i won't need it, but it never hurts to have a "just in case" chock mounted on your trailer.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:23 PM
air_marshall
Advanced

Bump

Old 03-05-2008, 06:58 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

The HF chock works just fine. I have three Condors in my trailer. I got the HF to put in the bed of my truck. The key to any chock is the proper tie downs. The chocks that hold the bike upright so that only one person is needed to load the bike must have tie downs that pull the bike foreward into the chock. It is always best to use four tie downs. But, even the rear tie downs should pull the bike into the chock and not back as I have seen some do.

You will have a very good chock at a fair price. After all those chinese prisoners do great work.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/F698997387FB4D33B8F07EFBE8E1CFC2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/FB0CE2AFF8FA4D0B83B510C94D9E5C94.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/C06C27E67490416F8DFD523A61F239AE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-05-2008, 09:03 PM
powerman
Cruiser

Hauled my new bagger from PA to TN with the HF. It worked just fine, besides it's all about the straps.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:23 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: lh4x4

The HF chock works just fine. I have three Condors in my trailer. I got the HF to put in the bed of my truck. The key to any chock is the proper tie downs. The chocks that hold the bike upright so that only one person is needed to load the bike must have tie downs that pull the bike foreward into the chock. It is always best to use four tie downs. But, even the rear tie downs should pull the bike into the chock and not back as I have seen some do.

You will have a very good chock at a fair price. After all those chinese prisoners do great work.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/F698997387FB4D33B8F07EFBE8E1CFC2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/FB0CE2AFF8FA4D0B83B510C94D9E5C94.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/C06C27E67490416F8DFD523A61F239AE.jpg[/IMG]
That rune is a coool bike!

Quick Reply: Trailering with a Bike Pro/Harbor Freight wheel chock??