General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attitude Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:45 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Attitude Adjustment

It was high-40's to low 50's today, Carolina Blue sky, absolutely beautiful - so I head out for a ride. First stop is fuel. I'm in the middle island just putting the nozzle back in the pump. This old guy, looked 75+ in a BMW with a dignified woman of about the same age, is driving between the two pump islands to get out. He is angling really close to my bike which is between me and his BMW. He is just creeping along, occasionally looking over at the other pump island to avoid the car parked perpendicular to me - so, he's coming between that car and my bike (hard to explain).

What has me concerned, is he keeps looking at my bike like he's trying to get as close as he can but not hit it. I'm getting a little worried, then a little pissed-off. I start thinking "OK old guy in your beemer, how about you go the other way, or give me a chance to get out on my bike or let the other guy leave! You don't HAVE to come through this way, and just because you can afford a beemer in your golden years, doesn't mean that gives you the right to put other folks in danger here!" Then I add (all in my head) a few choice words to cap it off.

He keeps creeping closer and closer to the bike, still looking at it.... not even looking over at the other car any more. At the point I'm about to start shouting and throw myself in harms way, he pulls right and straightens out, still looking at my bike! I'm thinking "*sshole!"

Then, he rolls down his window and looks up at me for the first time - gets a big smile on his face and the conversation goes something like this:

Him: "My first one was a '47"
Me: "Harley?"
Him: "Yea" (bigger smile)
Me: "Well, this one is an 07" (I'm smiling now too)
Him: "Damn, I sure do miss it"
Me: "Well, go get yerself one!" (HUGE SMILE)
Him: (Laughing now)
Her in the passenger seat: (Sly little grin)

And they drive off waving.

Needless to say, I had a bit of an attitude adjustment there - this guy was one of the "old school dudes" in his day, and I just saw him as an old geezer about ready to hit my bike. I thought about him a bunch during my ride. Put on a little over 100 miles, out by Jordan Lake, N. Orange County, Durham County, and Chatham County.

Nice day for a ride.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:51 PM
jagator
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Attitude Adjustment

Good story. I would have probably made an a$$ of myself. Good lesson.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:51 PM
IdaSpudSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad it worked out well for the both of you.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:57 PM
x2lee
Banned

Glad you didnt make an *** of yourself and ruin your day and thiers too. Just goes to show we are more alike than different. People are just people. Btw I had some great riding this weekend too, a little chilly here in Ga but gorgeous.
ORIGINAL: TurkeyRun

It was high-40's to low 50's today, Carolina Blue sky, absolutely beautiful - so I head out for a ride. First stop is fuel. I'm in the middle island just putting the nozzle back in the pump. This old guy, looked 75+ in a BMW with a dignified woman of about the same age, is driving between the two pump islands to get out. He is angling really close to my bike which is between me and his BMW. He is just creeping along, occasionally looking over at the other pump island to avoid the car parked perpendicular to me - so, he's coming between that car and my bike (hard to explain).

What has me concerned, is he keeps looking at my bike like he's trying to get as close as he can but not hit it. I'm getting a little worried, then a little pissed-off. I start thinking "OK old guy in your beemer, how about you go the other way, or give me a chance to get out on my bike or let the other guy leave! You don't HAVE to come through this way, and just because you can afford a beemer in your golden years, doesn't mean that gives you the right to put other folks in danger here!" Then I add (all in my head) a few choice words to cap it off.

He keeps creeping closer and closer to the bike, still looking at it.... not even looking over at the other car any more. At the point I'm about to start shouting and throw myself in harms way, he pulls right and straightens out, still looking at my bike! I'm thinking "*sshole!"

Then, he rolls down his window and looks up at me for the first time - gets a big smile on his face and the conversation goes something like this:

Needless to say, I had a bit of an attitude adjustment there - this guy was one of the "old school dudes" in his day, and I just saw him as an old geezer about ready to hit my bike. I thought about him a bunch during my ride. Put on a little over 100 miles, out by Jordan Lake, N. Orange County, Durham County, and Chatham County.

Nice day for a ride.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Interesting...I had one of those today too. I was waiting behind another guy at the ATM (I was in my cage) and he was taking all kind of time getting money out with his card only to put another card in the machine and try to draw out more money with it. I was about a frog's hair away from blowing the horn at him when he pulls off. As I pull up to the ATM I see him getting out of his car to inspect his front tire. When I get done, I start to pull off and he tells me to stop. Turns out he was warning me from running over a broken bottle that he had the misfortune of hitting ( although his tire was fine) that would have slashed my tire beyond repair.

Sometimes you get the opportunity to think back to how things might have been different and I consider myself lucky for getting to learn this lesson of patience the easy way.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:03 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The wife and I were in a restaurant parking lot getting ready to leave when a similar cager pulled into the next spot. Real dapper looking couple & reeeally old. As the ancient, frail, blue haired old lady got out next to my bike, she looked down her nose at it, looked up at me with an icy stare, then suddenly smiled and said, "cool bike!" I kinda stammered and said "thanks." Meanwhile, my wife was about to wet her pants to keep from laughing. Ya just never know.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:03 PM
ae4782tt
Road Master

Irode out by Jordan Lake on Thursday. Its nice to see the water level rising! Sounds like ya mighta rode rite by my house today. Rite off 86 in Hillsborough.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:07 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Its nice to see the water level rising! Sounds like ya mighta rode rite by my house today. Rite off 86 in Hillsborough.
Yes it is! Was stunning today - full and BLUE! People fishing, looking like old times again.

And yes I did. That gas station was the BP in Carrboro on 54 by the post office, you probably know it. Istarted ut the day going up Old 86 into Hillsborough, and out 70 to Saint Mary's and into Shelton's to pickup the Durham HOG newsletter and get a cup of coffee. You probably know the route.

Next time you're headed out for a ride, gimme a shout!

PM sent

Old 03-09-2008, 08:11 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: TurkeyRun

Nice day for a ride.
Amen! Thats why we have two ears and one mouth, listen twice as much as we speak! Remember, the road to hell is paved with the loose tongue.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:09 PM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior

It is good to get this well needed rain.... Harnett Co. here Chalybeate Springs to be exact....Grew up in Durham (don't hold that agin' me) Wife's family lives in Hillsborough...and Rougemount NC..It was good out today just a little chilly!!!!Rode about 100 miles today.