General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OUTRAGEOUS! left-turn killing - no charges

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:51 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OUTRAGEOUS! left-turn killing - no charges

Guy turns left in front of a biker killing him and FHP says no charges??????

A motorcycle driver in Brevard County died this morning when his bike slammed into another vehicle, troopers said.

Florida Highway Patrol records show that Edward Herbert Hight, 50, of Merritt Island, was driving southbound on Grissom Parkway and approaching Port St. John Parkway at 1:02 a.m. Richard Albert Jones, 43, of Titusville, was traveling northbound on Grissom Parkway toward the same intersection.

As Jones was making a left turn onto Port St. John Parkway, Hight crashed into the right side of his truck. Hight was ejected from the motorcycle. He was transported to Wuesthoff Medical Center, where he died.

FHP troopers said both drivers had the green light.

Story is here:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-bk-bikecrash032608,0,6437652.story

Another story here:
http://www.local6.com/news/15711559/detail.html

Edward Herbert Hight, 50, was pronounced dead at Wuesthoff Medical Center-Rockledge after the crash that occurred at 1:02 a.m. at Grissom and Port St. John parkways in Port St. John.

The driver of the truck, Richard Albert Jones, 43, of Titusville, was not injured, Local 6 News partner Florida Today reported.

Florida Highway Patrol trooper Cpl. Dean Martin reported that Jones was traveling northbound on Grissom Parkway at the intersection of Port St. John Parkway while Hight was headed southbound. Martin stated that two witnesses said both drivers had solid green lights, but that Jones attempted to make a left turn in front of Hight. Hight struck Jones on the right passenger side of the truck.

No charges have been filed in the crash.

This stinks!!! Provideon-line comments here:
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/or...OJFCM#comments

*************EDIT TO UPDATE****************

<explaination from below>

ORIGINAL: RangeRat

ORIGINAL: CCPD

ORIGINAL: RangeRat

I had no idea that a driver who obviously violated the riders right-of-way wasn't cited for that immediately or that giving a citation for failure to yield could put someone in double jeopardy.Can't the bozoalso get charged with something like vehicular homocidelater after the doctor says "he'sdead" and the investigation is completed?

Seems like criminals who shoot a clerk that dies in the hospital get nabbed for robery immediately and then charged with murder later. I honestly don't understand.

Oh - BTW - the paper later retracted the time. Itreally happened somewhere around 9:00 PM. I know that'sjust a nit either waybut...
It the accident is serious enough you have to wait to see what happens before you file charges. If you write someone a ticket and they pay it the next day and the driver dies 2 days later you can't recharge someone for something steming from the same incident (Double Jeopardy). This is why many departments have special units which handle death or serious injury accidents.

Chris
Thanks Chris. That helps me understand how the law must be applied.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:12 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: OUTRAGEOUS! left-turn killing - no charges

Usually, in a fatality accident, unless alcohol or some other illegal activity is involved, an arrest is rarely made at that time. And there is far more involved in investigating a fatality accident than a regular fender bender. Once all the info is gathered, and the investigation is completed, then the PD usually forwards the info to the D.A. It's up to the D.A. whether or not to file any criminal charges (and this is true in any criminal case. Only the DA can file charges, or not file charges, period). Once the D.A. thinks he has a good enough case to get a conviction, then charges will be filed with the court anda warrant will be issued.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DannyZ71

Usually, in a fatality accident, unless alcohol or some other illegal activity is involved, an arrest is rarely made at that time. And there is far more involved in investigating a fatality accident than a regular fender bender. Once all the info is gathered, and the investigation is completed, then the PD usually forwards the info to the D.A. It's up to the D.A. whether or not to file any criminal charges (and this is true in any criminal case. Only the DA can file charges, or not file charges, period). Once the D.A. thinks he has a good enough case to get a conviction, then charges will be filed with the court anda warrant will be issued.
What he said.

But the least the FHP should have done was issue a ticket to the driver of the truck for failure to yield the right of way. I believe if 2 vehicles are going through an intersection in opposite directions, the one turning MUST yield to traffic going straight through. At least that's what the law is in Georgia.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:20 AM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how the law reads in Florida, but here the officer cannot cite unless it occurs in front of him. The info about the failure to yield goes on the report, but no citation is issued.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:29 AM
CCPD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Unome

ORIGINAL: DannyZ71

What he said.

But the least the FHP should have done was issue a ticket to the driver of the truck for failure to yield the right of way. I believe if 2 vehicles are going through an intersection in opposite directions, the one turning MUST yield to traffic going straight through. At least that's what the law is in Georgia.
You can't charge him yet for the failure to yield because if you write him the ticket and he pays for it the next day you can't add charges later steming from the same incident. It's called double jeopardy.

Chris

Old 03-30-2008, 08:35 AM
CCPD
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: sldavis

Not sure how the law reads in Florida, but here the officer cannot cite unless it occurs in front of him. The info about the failure to yield goes on the report, but no citation is issued.
This isincorrect. I write every at fault driver in every accident I respond to where I am able to determine who was at fault. It does not matter if I saw the incident or not. At court the solicitor will call the other driver to the stand who was involved in the accident as a witness for the state.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:39 AM
sldavis
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: CCPD

ORIGINAL: sldavis

This isincorrect. I write every at fault driver in every accident I respond to where I am able to determine who was at fault. It does not matter if I saw the incident or not. At court the solicitor will call the other driver to the stand who was involved in the accident as a witness for the state.
No, it's not incorrect, you didn't read it correctly. I said I don't knowhow the law is written in Florida, but here, we can not cite unless we witnessed it. I started my career in another state where we could, so every state is not the same.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:44 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

There are always 2 sides to every story.No way to pass judgement hearing one side,especially when the media is involved.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:51 AM
kjmorgan
Road Captain

Another good reason not to be out riding at 1:00AM if you don't HAVE to be. Humans simply don't see as well at night, people are tired, reactions are slower, alcohol is often involved, etc. That being said, it still was in no way, shape, or form the motorcyclists fault.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:04 AM
rickxx
Tourer

ORIGINAL: kjmorgan

Another good reason not to be out riding at 1:00AM if you don't HAVE to be. Humans simply don't see as well at night, people are tired, reactions are slower, alcohol is often involved, etc. That being said, it still was in no way, shape, or form the motorcyclists fault.
good point about being out at 1am. regarding the latter...what if motorcyclist was riding without a headlight (possible it burned out) or he was riding at an excessive speed and/or intoxicated. there are two sides to every story, however, so let's see how this one plays out. feel sorry for the family of the rider. if the guy in the car was in the wrong, he should spend some time in jail.

Quick Reply: OUTRAGEOUS! left-turn killing - no charges