General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic throttle control

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:22 PM
djhrln
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Electronic throttle control

Is your FLHTC stock, or have you installed a fuel management system of any kind?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:26 PM
langner91
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock. It is just like yours. Crimson Red Sunglo. I have about 300 miles on it right now. The first time it happened, I was at 90 miles on the clock.

I have cruise installed from the factory.

When it happens, it is like the cruise isn't coming off. But, I have only tried the cruise for about 3 miles because I want to vary my speeds as per the owner's manual. My cruise "switch" has been off except for that one time and the bike didn't act up that day.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:48 PM
djhrln
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't had that problem, sounds dangerous though. I don't have cruise either. I'll be interested in what they find out. Keep a couple fingers covering that clutch lever. Good luck.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:05 PM
langner91
Stage III

*update*

I took my bike to the dealer today. Of course the place was packed and I didn't want to create a mini-panic situation for them so I waited until the owner acknowledged me. When he did, I asked if I could have a moment in private. I explained what I have posted here. He was very concerned. He had my bike in the backin about 5 minutes flat. I was not expecting to get it serviced today, but he felt it was serious.

Just as has been posted here, his only tech bulletin has been for the idle issue. He was concerned that mine did it while moving, not just idling. He told me to be careful and that I would have to leave it if it acted up again. So, my bike has been "reset" and I am to watch for any further issues. I thanked him and took it for a little 100 mile ride. All seemed golden. I used the cruise a lot just to add that wrinkle.

While I am certain my issue wasn't the "idle" issue (it never happened when idling, always when moving), I am chalking it up to a fluke and moving on.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Walkonwater
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: sealbeachbum

But my harley dealer has told me not to ride it in the rain.
????????????? [sm=huh.gif]
Suzuki outboards have been using electronic throttle (fly-by-wire) for at least two years and I am not aware of any problems.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:52 PM
jandt
Cruiser

I have an 08 FLHX of which I have enjoyed trouble free miles so far with the TBW feature. My last ride which I still have was carbed. But correct me if I am wrong because the whole EFI thing is kinda new to me. I thought that prior to the TBW bikes with EFI, the throttle position sensor was down behind the air cleaner and was actuated by the cables from the handle bars.

(this is a shot in the dark here like I mentioned earlier I am new to EFI on HD's, feel free to enlighten me on this if i am wrong)

If this is correct then its a cost/time saving measure and a way to make assembly easier as i bet it is easier and cheaper to run a few wires in a harness that is already going to the handle bars already. Verses running two cables.

just a thought.......