General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ethanol damage??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:45 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: ethanol damage??????

TC's are fine with the ethanol additive. 10% isnt much at all when you think about the total consumption of the fuel. The octane booster theory is also true. Its renewable and doestn hurt the little critters runnin around like MTBE did.

As a side note, HD knew their 96CI was going to run hotter stock than their previous engines (due to emmisions). That higher temp caused the engine to be more succeptable to preignition. Not hard to figure out why they required the premium fuel for TC 96 engines.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:50 AM
06train
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any alcohol is corrosive to parts that are not made for it(aluminum-rubber-steel-etc.)..Also alcohol has to have a mixing agent to be mixed with an oil based petroleum.Strangely enough it mixes just fine with anything water based...Something else is all alcohol WILL draw moisture if not sealed completly.And it takes a whole lot more to accomplish the same thing...So your gonna pay four bucksor morea gallon for a fuel that gives you less M.P.G. ..Some points to consider....

Old 05-13-2008, 09:54 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In Texas, all gas is 10% Ethanol/ 90% gasoline. My 81 shovel runs great on the stuff. It starts so easy and idels so very well. The S&S carb is very responsive. The only thing I did do was was change out the fuel hose because ethanol can be crossive to older styles or rubber. I got a new piece of hose from the dealer for free and have never had a problem, ran it 4000 miles in the last year, and loved every mile. I have also heard the ethanol is a solvant and will help disovle gunk in carbs, jets and fuel injectors.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:13 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 06train

..Some points to consider....
all good points, but, we can consider all we want, once there is no choice... well, there is no choice

Know what I mean Vern?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:50 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts

With the ethanol at 10% it is fine for an HD. The real problem is the E85. It is 85% alcohol and 15% unleaded gas. The large amount of alcohol will cause rubber seals and hoses to swell and steel lines to corrode. I ran an E85 vehicle for work and it was set up with silicone seals and stainless steel tank and lines to allow it to run this mixture.

I would get 12-13 mpg around town on the E85 and 18-20 mpg with regular unleaded. We were paying 1.85 a gal for bulk fuel prices for unleaded and 2.98 for the E85. This was 3 years ago. Just my .02 based on my experience.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:06 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I run E94 in my bike 10% ethanol. Bike runs really well on it compared to the typical 91 available.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:14 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: MCSarge

With the ethanol at 10% it is fine for an HD. The real problem is the E85. It is 85% alcohol and 15% unleaded gas. The large amount of alcohol will cause rubber seals and hoses to swell and steel lines to corrode. I ran an E85 vehicle for work and it was set up with silicone seals and stainless steel tank and lines to allow it to run this mixture.

I would get 12-13 mpg around town on the E85 and 18-20 mpg with regular unleaded. We were paying 1.85 a gal for bulk fuel prices for unleaded and 2.98 for the E85. This was 3 years ago. Just my .02 based on my experience.
Exactly, then add in the factor of it running up the cost of corn and grains becuase of the demand of corn.. BAD NEWS all around....

Old 05-13-2008, 03:31 PM
crash1292
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

screw the enviroment....Im running this.....
http://tetraboost.com/

Old 05-13-2008, 05:04 PM
roofgunner
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with ethanol and MTBE is the following: In Ca. there was a company that put ethanol in the gas before all this was required. I put some in my Kaw 900 and the condensation due to the ethanol attracting water caused rust in the gas tank. The rust was real fine and got into the petcock and seized it. I had to buy a new petcock.Then I put a gas tank sealer in the tank hoping that would fix the rust problem. That worked until they put MTBE in the gas and that dissolved the fuel tank liner stuff. Then that clogged the carbs. Then I put Kentone in the tank to take out the liner. Then, one day while filling my bike with one of those wonderful EPA/CARB approved gas filling nozzles, it screwed up and put gas all over the tank and on a hot engine and I thought I was going to get burned up.Then I left CA. Since I use Amsoil 100 to 1 synthetic two stroke oil in my saws, weedeather and lawn mower (great stuff by the way), when I store my bikes I put some of that and Amsoil fuel stabilizer in the gas and I have not had any problems. Anyway, everything starts, even after winter. But I think the gas we have today is bad stuff. In my 70 Olds 442 I mix 110 octane leaded race gas and some of the two stroke stuff, along with 93 octane BP gas.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

In the midwest it's hard to find "straight" gas. Been running 10 percent ethenol for the longest time. THe difference is, you don't get as good of gas mileage with the ethenol, but it's lower price seems to offset that. So it's a wash. Every chance I get, I put straight gas in my bike, but after 18k, no apparent ill effects.

Quick Reply: ethanol damage??????