General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ethanol damage??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:45 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ethanol damage??????

everything around me has been 10 % for years . never had a problem

Old 05-13-2008, 08:55 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: ebeattie

TC's are fine with the ethanol additive. 10% isnt much at all when you think about the total consumption of the fuel. The octane booster theory is also true. Its renewable and doestn hurt the little critters runnin around like MTBE did.

As a side note, HD knew their 96CI was going to run hotter stock than their previous engines (due to emmisions). That higher temp caused the engine to be more succeptable to preignition. Not hard to figure out why they required the premium fuel for TC 96 engines.
Hasn't harley required premium for all fuel injected models? They do for the TC88's as far back as I can remember.

Mn has been an "ethanol state" for several years. It runs fine in everything, but as others as noted, if you are running it for the first time, be prepared to change fuel filters, as it will clean the gunk out of your fuel system. It does give slightly lower mileage, and it has ashort shelf life. We have some stations that sell "collector vehicle" non ethanol, and I run that whenever I can find it.

In the winter, we use to always add Heet to ourcar gas to prevent gas line freeze. With ethanol, that isn't necessary, as that is what Heet is.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every 1000 miles I throw 3 oz of Techron in the tank. Takes care of all the toxins in there.

A 12 oz bottle is about 5 bucks at a Chevron or Texaco station.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Hester
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, check this out....

I over-built my twin cam Dyna (FXDX) by boring the jugs to take the displacement up to 95", running 10.5:1 Wiseco domed pistons, .625 high-lift gear-driven cams, stainless valves with race springs, a high-volume oil pump, an S&S "Super E" carb, a Vance and Hines 2 into 1 exhaust, and a Dynatek programmable ignition (don't worry, I split the cases and installed new flywheels too).

With all of that, I have to keep the timing set really far back because, if I don't, the crappy 91 octane that is the best I can buy at the pump here in the People's Republic of California pings like a mother. If I just had some higher octane....

I've been thinking about running bigger jets in the carb so I can start burning E85 (85% alcohol, 15% gasoline). The E85 will solve my octane problems so I can push the timing forward and take advantage of all of the high compression pistons and the high lift cams. As it is, I can get the front wheel off the ground with no clutch in 1st and running up to the top speed of 115 is no problem. It should do even better if Irun more advance.

I think I can deal with the water in the fuel (hell, they're just parts, right?) and replacing fuel lines and what not. It will be worth the tradeoff for more power.

The E85 sounds like the answer to my low octane problems. I just won't be able to travel too far away from the only station that I know that sells the E85. That and I have to be prepared to buy a new gas tank and carb every once in awhile.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:06 AM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

Dont't know. But I do know I ran some BP w/ ethanol this weekend and got 46 mpg as compared to 40 mpg from non-ethanol BP the tank before.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:51 AM
congocycles
Advanced

Try Octi-plus when you fill up. It seems to help with the ethinol in all the gas.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:44 PM
METALMANGLER76
Advanced

i don't like Ethanol it doesn't taste as good as Sunoco 94

Old 05-15-2008, 11:35 AM
firewatch
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put the Fitch Fuel Catalyst lifetime capsules (two) in your tank no more fuel worries.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Skitzer
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using 93 Octane 10% Ethanol in my 07 Dyna for about a year now with absolutely zero problems.
Recently installed Nightrider Xieds and the bike runs great ..... no complaints.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hester

So, check this out....

I over-built my twin cam Dyna (FXDX) by boring the jugs to take the displacement up to 95", running 10.5:1 Wiseco domed pistons, .625 high-lift gear-driven cams, stainless valves with race springs, a high-volume oil pump, an S&S "Super E" carb, a Vance and Hines 2 into 1 exhaust, and a Dynatek programmable ignition (don't worry, I split the cases and installed new flywheels too).

With all of that, I have to keep the timing set really far back because, if I don't, the crappy 91 octane that is the best I can buy at the pump here in the People's Republic of California pings like a mother. If I just had some higher octane....

I've been thinking about running bigger jets in the carb so I can start burning E85 (85% alcohol, 15% gasoline). The E85 will solve my octane problems so I can push the timing forward and take advantage of all of the high compression pistons and the high lift cams. As it is, I can get the front wheel off the ground with no clutch in 1st and running up to the top speed of 115 is no problem. It should do even better if Irun more advance.

I think I can deal with the water in the fuel (hell, they're just parts, right?) and replacing fuel lines and what not. It will be worth the tradeoff for more power.

The E85 sounds like the answer to my low octane problems. I just won't be able to travel too far away from the only station that I know that sells the E85. That and I have to be prepared to buy a new gas tank and carb every once in awhile.
Hester, obviously I am a long a$$ed ways from you, but scout around, and see what the small local airport has. I used to run Avgas High octane for that very same reason. Just a thought. Like I say, do not know what Cal. has for avgas tho. And if available to public. (?)
Here in the middle of corn country, we have been using 10% for years.
The problem eliminating lead back in the 70's, was a valve lubricating issue, not an octane problem.
When I can afford it, I stop at the BP in Isanti, and fill up with Racing fuel, they have a pump for it there. BUT get the wallet out. They won't even give me a gallon if Momma flashes them.

Quick Reply: ethanol damage??????