General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quality HD parts????

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Romark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality HD parts????

I have installed only HD accessories on my '07 Wide Glide. I thought that the HD accessories would fit better and be better quality but a couple of experiences lately make me wonder.

First I installed the chrome turn signal swivels. The threaded part that the mirror shaft goes down through was to short causing the mirror to extend out of the collar and not allow the turn signal collar to tighten up. The fix I came up with was to shim with washers the mirror shaft so it wasn't quite so long. Worked great except for the washers. I didn't want to cut the mirror shafts off.

Second, I bought a timer cover this morning and when I went to install it, the screws were too long. Not a big deal, I just cut them off a little but all this makes me wonder if the "Quality HD parts are completely thought through before putting them out for sale.

I have installed lots of other HD parts with success and will continue to put HD parts on my ride but I don't want a trend to start.

Has any one else experienced these kind of issues?

Old 05-14-2008, 11:05 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Quality HD parts????

I haven't had any problems other that one part they also gave me the wrong size bolt and I had to go on line and purchase a chrome bolt from a different company. I bought a chrome piece for my Heritage that goes arond the transmission housing that says "Six Speed". I have to remove the clutch cable and the muffler just to get the screws out to install a bracket. Had I known that, I never would have bought the part. That irritates me much more than wrong size bolts.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:54 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya gotta remember that although it may say HD on the box, doesn't mean they actually built it. They likely use lots of suppliers, Kuryakyn for one. I had a problem with my SE fork brace for my WG. The included bolts were way too short. Just went to the local ACE hardware store and got the correct one.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:12 PM
mulch63
Road Master

Friend, you ain't seen nothing. I am a parts manager at a forklift dealership. Go through tons of mislabeled, broken, wrong made, bad cross....and it goes on and on. It's all over and worst then ever. FYI one line is Toyota.

jim

Old 05-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Romark
Road Master

I hear what you are saying. I'm not really complaining, just disappointed. I expected everything to be flawless I guess

Old 05-14-2008, 06:34 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

ORIGINAL: mulch63

Friend, you ain't seen nothing. I am a parts manager at a forklift dealership. Go through tons of mislabeled, broken, wrong made, bad cross....and it goes on and on. It's all over and worst then ever. FYI one line is Toyota.

jim
You speak the truth my friend.
Chevrolet Parts Manager here. 30 years experience.
You aint seen NOTHIN!!!

MikeM

Old 05-14-2008, 06:48 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

Never any problems with Harley Parts

Old 05-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley dealer wanted $99 for a pair of stock multi-fit levers. The original HD clutch lever had broken and was chromed, but cheap pot metal. Not to be screwed again, I just bought a pair of equally cheap levers elsewhere for $19. Can't tell the difference.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:01 PM
fonemann
Road Captain

Yea, the little rubber bumper that keeps the kickstand from bangin the fram when u put it up $3.75, top quality asian rubber(imported)

Old 05-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Beercan321
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought a set of H.D. bag locks for my RK Custom bags. The instructions came with a template so you can drill holes in the side of the bags to mount the locks. After I mounted the locks I noticed something. There are 2 extra holes that the instructions stated I needed to put in the bags but the holes are not used for anything. Now I have 2 holes in each bag that don’t need to be there. Fortunately the holes are on the back side of the bags near the fender so they can’t be seen. Regardless, the guy who made the instructions was definitely smoking something. I’d be really pissed if the holes were noticeable.

Quick Reply: Quality HD parts????