General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Question on "decel popping"

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:15 AM
simpkins
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Question on "decel popping"

I see numerous posts refering too or asking about "popping". What is everyone referring too?

My Set-up.

2006 FLHXI
PCIII
V&H Classic Slip-ons
SE A/C

This is my first Fuel Injected bike, so I do not know if folks are talking about the old popping out the air cleaner, or back fire through exhaust.

When I engine brake or down shift, it sounds like the "cherry bomb" enhaust of yester-year, but I do not ever recall hearing popping out the Air cleaner. Do Fuel Injection bikes still pop out the AC or is this just a carb thing?When you are describing popping, is this exhaust backfire?

Just curious

Old 05-15-2008, 10:37 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Quick Question on "decel popping"

Decel popping is exactly what it says. When you let off the gas, or decellerate, you get a "pop, pop, pop, etc" from the exhaust. Not as loud as a "backfire", but it is a backfire. It's really the first sign that something is wrong. Louder backfires, or worse yet, explosions in your air cleaner and other places, indicate serious problems with your bike and needs attention.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Gart
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're right on track. It is more of an exhaust backfire instead of anything through the air cleaner.

I like the referrence to "cherry bombs" on straight pipes. You are showing your age.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:27 PM
irishviking
Cruiser

"its normal" is what I got from the dealer after my PCIII install with dyno. I didnt get it from Jamie so I assume Iam f%$#&d.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:36 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: irishviking

"its normal" is what I got from the dealer after my PCIII install with dyno. I didnt get it from Jamie so I assume Iam f%$#&d.
Just richen up the zero throttle column to 5 or so above 750 rpm.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:57 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,437 Likes on 877 Posts

ORIGINAL: DannyZ71

Decel popping is exactly what it says. When you let off the gas, or decellerate, you get a "pop, pop, pop, etc" from the exhaust. Not as loud as a "backfire", but it is a backfire. It's really the first sign that something is wrong. Louder backfires, or worse yet, explosions in your air cleaner and other places, indicate serious problems with your bike and needs attention.
It doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong. Short pipes, no baffles, etc. will always expose decell pops whilemuffled pipes will hide them. Just the way it is.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:07 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: golfblues

It doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong. Short pipes, no baffles, etc. will always expose decell pops whilemuffled pipes will hide them. Just the way it is.

I've always beentoldit was the first sign that a engine was running too lean. ???

Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 PM
irishviking
Cruiser

Thanks Bob

Old 05-15-2008, 01:31 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,437 Likes on 877 Posts

I've always beentoldit was the first sign that a engine was running too lean. ???
But aren't they all running lean from the factory to pass emmissions? Will it hurt? I don't think so at the factory settings. The'll just run hotter, pop & spita bit.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:33 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

But aren't they all running lean from the factory to pass emmissions? Will it hurt? I don't think so at the factory settings. The'll just run hotter, pop & spita bit.
Yes, they do. Like you said, stock pipes kind of hide it. Since it's almost a given that a new bike is going to run lean, is there any use in fighting with the dealer to get that fixed before it leaves the building?

Quick Reply: Quick Question on "decel popping"