General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long did it take to reach a riding comfort zone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:38 PM
kyguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long did it take to reach a riding comfort zone?

Like so many other guys, I rode and had several bikes when I was much younger. Now 30 years later, I find myself the proud owner of Harley Road King Classic. I've been riding the RK close to a year and have logged about 5000 miles. I’m finding that my ability, comfort level, and just plain losing the fear of making a fool of myself, gets better with every mile. Don’t get me wrong I still have a very healthy respect for safety.
My question to some of you more experienced riders is, how many miles did you log before you were in the riding "comfort zone"? I’m sure it will vary from rider to rider. Thanks for the info.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5552/3A4C3669BBDD42FFA67591EBA1B9E955.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-28-2006, 11:15 PM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How long did it take to reach a riding comfort zone?

I've been riding since I was about 9 non-stop. With each new bike though its does take time to get into that groove.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Pathfinder
Cruiser

Like you, I stopped for a couple decades then got back into riding. You'll know when you're in the zone. My suggestion: Ride every day. Maybe 10 miles, maybe 200 or more if you can. I've put on 23,000 since last June. IMHO, take Rider's Edge. You'll get you're confidence back much qucker, knowing the right way way to do things. I'm working on getting my wife into that state of mind where she knows she is in total control. We did 200 today, she on her new Sportster, me on my Ultra.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Having not ridden in more than twenty years, I'd say it took me about 400 miles and a month before I felt comfortabe and in full control on my 2003 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder. I never really liked the way my Intruder handled tight slow speed turns though. The front wheel wanted to flop. My 2006 1200C Sportster is a much easier bike to control. It fits me like a glove and is very responsive. I felt comfortable almost immediately and much more in control.

Click Here for high resolution.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:37 AM
kyjohn
Advanced

im like you i just got my 1st harley after yrs. on jap bikes then yrs. without any riding iv put about 1000miles on it since i got it rite befor winter i have to say that everyday i feel more comfortable i try to atleast get a ride in to the store 2 or 3 times a week
and i also wnted to say welcome to the forum i am also new in here and from ky maybe we can get some miles under our belt when the weather gets nice

Old 03-01-2006, 01:20 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,766 Likes on 776 Posts

I was surprised to find that I got completely comfortable with my Night Train within the first couple of weeks. I rode her a lot, so that's probably what did it. Before this bike, the biggest bike I'd owned was a Suzuki 450GS!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-01-2006, 01:27 AM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally have no idea why I have this ONE "concern" with any bike I've evr had or ridden.

I'm very comfortable (comfort zone?) with just about every aspect of my Deuce BUT it seems that no matter what bike I am riding or how new or old it may be, my biggest concern, fear or whatever you want to call it, at highway speeds,

MY FRONT TIRE, JUST FOR NO REASON,,,

FALLING OFF!

I know! It's improbable but that's it.

I don't dwell on it. I'll be riding for an hour 65mph and for no reason whatsoever, it comes into my mind.
"What if my front tire just.....fell off?"

I'd be killed. I get a little chill down my spine, ease up on the throttle just a tad,

And I forget about it.

Weird!! LOL!

[IMG]local://upfiles/4802/C05CE934F8714A82B6CE8E742A280C61.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-01-2006, 01:33 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,766 Likes on 776 Posts

ORIGINAL: SpeedsterX

I personally have no idea why I have this ONE "concern" with any bike I've evr had or ridden.

I'm very comfortable (comfort zone?) with just about every aspect of my Deuce BUT it seems that no matter what bike I am riding or how new or old it may be, my biggest concern, fear or whatever you want to call it, at highway speeds,

MY FRONT TIRE, JUST FOR NO REASON,,,

FALLING OFF!

I know! It's improbable but that's it.

I don't dwell on it. I'll be riding for an hour 65mph and for no reason whatsoever, it comes into my mind.
"What if my front tire just.....fell off?"

I'd be killed. I get a little chill down my spine, ease up on the throttle just a tad,

And I forget about it.

Weird!! LOL!

[IMG]local://upfiles/4802/C05CE934F8714A82B6CE8E742A280C61.jpg[/IMG]
Just don't pull any wheelies, and you should be fine, heheheh...

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-01-2006, 01:50 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rode a lot when I was young, then stopped while I helped with the kids (about 25 years) and in the last three years I've had three bikes and ride mostly two-up. I felt good right from the start, but with every mile you get better. I rode about 250 miles before I got my SO on the bike with me. After about 5,000 miles on my ultra I really got to feel like I knew the bike, how tight to take a u-turn, and at what speed, and how much to lean, etc.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:11 AM
capn_buzzcut
Advanced

For some reason, what seems to stand out to me is coming to a stop at an intersection. On most any bike I'm pretty comfortable right away while moving, but I know I'm really in control when I start coming to very smooth unwavering stops, lightly touching one foot to the ground in a natural movement right as forward progress stops. It takes a sort of oneness with the machine to do that effortlessly every time, and I lose some of that connection if I don't ride that bike often enough. When it's there, things just happen without any real thought or concern.

The brakes, throttle, gearshift, and clutch are all in standard locations on any bike now, but another thing that can throw off your comfort is knowing where everything else is. The ignition, turn signals, horn, kill switch, start button, cruise, and radio controls can be confusing - especially if you ride more than one bike. I get on my KLR and might hit the starter button when I mean to turn right. On my RKC I might hit the horn when I mean to flip on the high beams. Doesn't seem like much, but doing that in traffic can be unsettling.

Short answer though? Ride regularly and often - it will come.

Quick Reply: How long did it take to reach a riding comfort zone?