General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corporate responsibilty

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Flying Eagle
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corporate responsibilty

I have just encountered ther mindset of the HD Corp, and I'd like to share. I had an issue with a local Dealership (aMERICAN mOTORCYCLE CLASSICS OUT OF aLBANY oREGON) my son who is in the Navy serving our country, has a 1985 FXRC that he's had since high school. Before he went off to war he used up his front brakes. Last year I brought his bike to Albany dealership to have them bring it up to speed, so thyat when he returned home he could ride and remember some of the things he's fighting for. I gave them plenty of time to change fluids fix brakes lube cables, new tires, etc. after pressing them they got it out (last minute) to the tune of $1,000. When I picked it up they informed me that the front brakes were not original and that they wouldn't garantee them and made me sign the waiver stating that. They assured me that they'd work however. Since he was returning home within days I thought, ok. I signed it. He came home and rode went back happier, even though he only had time for a few hundred miles. He informed me a couple of weeks back that he'd be home (this week) for 5 days and not again until 2009. I had a friend drive it 2 weeks ago while I rode my 08 Road King. He had trouble and we discovered that the brakes were locked up. I called the Albany dealership for an emergency repair. I had to dismantle the brakes and drive it over. A some persuation they agreed to fix it before he returned. I got a call that HD didn't carry the parts, I convinced them to find them elsewhere. They did and replaiced the warped rotor (with 300 miles on it) and repaire the blown piston in the calliper. I assumed that it would be warranteed. When I got here they showed me the signed waiver and told me they wouldn't cover it and demanded another $350+. They also wanted me to sign another waiver which I refused. I paid them the money after they threatened to withhold my navy son's bike. I told them what i thought of them (it wasn't good) and then told me to get the F out of their dealership. Obviously I don't recommend them. I called HD customer relations to complain and was told they'd get back. when I called them today, they said that they have no control over their dealerships and even though it is a safety issue that they could do nothing. I've been riding HD since 70's, and was floored. When I said how is that right? How can they put out a product that's loved by so many, yet claim no responsibility? The girls response..."That's the American Way." I exploded and yelled at her. I don't believe that America is about a lack of reponsibility. I doin't believe that HD has no ownership in the quality standards, especially when it comes to safety. I love my Harleys(all 4) but I am totally disappointed. I thought maybe others think like me. maybe not. Does this sound right to any of you?

Old 06-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Corporate responsibilty

Sorry to hear about your bad experience but have you never heard of indys? You took a 22 year old bike to a new bike dealership,most of them don't even have a mechanic on staff to work on evo motors let alone something that's 22 years old. Don't go back, find an independent dealer that knows how to work on the bike. Your wallet will thank you. Most Harley Dealers don't even want that old of a ride in their service department.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:22 PM
UncleDon
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that'sFlyingEagles side to the story, kind of curious what's the dealers story. OtherSheep brought up an excellent point. I wonder why the dealer never said something like them not having the parts instead of "jury rigging it". Something is fishy about this story.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:33 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let me start by saying thank you to your son and that you obviously are proud of him, as you should be.

However with that said I really am not surprised that you didn't get a better answer from the MOCO. Unfortunately you're talking about a 22 - 23 year old bike and in your own words you "pressed" them to get it done. Plus the stores are individually owned and so the MOCO isn't going to get involved in a dispute with a dealer over a bike as old as what you've got. Sorry but it's simply the way business works. If I took a 85 Chevette into a Chevy dealer and didn't like the way the fixed it I don't think I'd get much out of Chevrolet's corporate office either.

As for them telling you to get the F*** out of their dealership, it is private property and I'm sure you used some choice words with them. I've asked people to leave my place of business before because I didn't like their attitude and decided I didn't need their money.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:37 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: UncleDon

Well that'sFlyingEagles side to the story, kind of curious what's the dealers story. OtherSheep brought up an excellent point. I wonder why the dealer never said something like them not having the parts instead of "jury rigging it". Something is fishy about this story.
I kinda wonder how long it sat after the brakes were done, maybe a puck seized from sitting, got stuck the next time the brakes were used. Sounds a little fishy, then gone bad with attitude, usually how it gets out of control.
Oh yeah, great avatar! Go Pack!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:40 PM
UncleDon
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't talk about the Packers,then they will move this thread, Hey wait!! The Packers gave Holgren a Harley as a going away gift. They shoulda given him a kick in the ***

Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,336 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Yep most dealers won't touch a ten year old bike let alone one 22 years old. For some reason I'm thinking that the dealer took it in to help out a serviceman, then used the bike as a trainer for a new mech/tech. Yep, I think I would have found an indy to do the work.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:55 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Let me try to understand something - the front brakes aren't original. And because a dealership mechanic, who does not work for corporate HD as dealerships are privately owned franchises, probably screwed up a repair to a non-Harley part, you hold HD corporate responsible? That dog don't hunt.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Wcross
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bingo, pococj. I was thinking the same thing. Nothing against you, Flying Eagle , but "......that they wouldn't garantee them and made me sign me signthe waiver stating that." They MADE you sign a waiverin regards to a non-original part?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:12 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll make a long story short, had a very abusive, belligerent customer, called her and saidyour stuffis done and to come pick it up, told one one my guys to box it up and put it out on the sidewalk undone, money is not that precious, if you are demanding, unreasonable and abusive no one will want to work with you, and if they do it's under duress, not the best scenario for you because you'll get ****ed, for a business to tell you to get the f out, you must have been a real pistol.

Quick Reply: Corporate responsibilty