General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Harley Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:27 PM
navyvb
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Harley Extended Warranty

Is it really necessary? what really does it cover, and why is the dealer so excited about it? How much is one, or is it one of those make a deal thingys?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Crossbones
Road Master
Default RE: New Harley Extended Warranty

IMO, they aren't worth it. you pay big bucks and rarely need it. the factory warranty covers you for 2 years, so depending on how you ride you should do well. most problems inherent to the bike would usually surface within that period. its a good money maker for the moco, but still remains a personal choice. some wouldn't go without it, i think most&nbsp\\;don't go with&nbsp\\;it. you can do most any work with a good service manual and some tools. save your money and buy some accessories!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:26 PM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

I absolutely regret getting it when I got my bike in 05. Technically once you change your pipes, ac or anything it voids your warranty from what I've been told. When I got it I mentioned getting something at the indy shop near me and he was very clear that if they do anything to my bike it'll void the warranty. I asked what if I do the work and he looked at me funny. I guess what I'm saying is read the fine print if your thinking about getting it.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Dibbs
Advanced

I just went back to the dealer to cancel mine.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
There was a discrepancy between what the salesman told me that it covered (scheduled maintenance) vs. what it actually DID cover.&nbsp\\; All this, less than a month after I got it and the dealer asks me how many miles I have on my bike.&nbsp\\; I asked the lady what that mattered seeing how it was an "unlimited mile" warranty.&nbsp\\; She told me that it's just something that they ask for and that it probably was used for them to prorate the amount of refund given.&nbsp\\; I told her that I thought that I had 60 days on a new bike purchase to cancel with a full refund.&nbsp\\; She acted and then responded as if I were speaking an ailien language, saying that she had never heard of that and that all of them are prorated to some degree.&nbsp\\; I told her that it better be damn close to the over $1400 I paid for it and left.&nbsp\\; Guess what came in the mail the next day.....A survey from the dealer rating my experience in buying my new Harley.&nbsp\\; Not that it would ever matter that much but I used the portion at the end to rant about the three horrible experiences I had with that one particular person at the dealer and gave high marks for everything else.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:48 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never purchased an extended warranty for anything I've bought...even Consumer's Reports magazine, which accepts no products or advertisements for any products or services they test, called ext. warranties "the greatest rip off ever perpetrated on the consumer"...I agree...

Old 06-25-2008, 09:54 PM
DeckerDude
Road Master

&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; I bought the extended warranty for my '07 E-Glide but with the amount of work I've been doing myself lately I think it was unnecessary

Old 06-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's like any other type of insurance.......you'll love it, if you need it. I can name all kinds of people that bought it and never used it and I can name some that it saved them a small fortune. Like an extended car warranty, it covers all the major components, with a small deductable. Why does the dealer want to sell it?....2 reasons....they get a commission (not that big) and secondly, it guarantees that you will keep bringing the bike back to them to get the work done. No, changing your pipes will not void the warranty. If you can see yourself on the same bike in 5 yrs, it's worth considering, but no one knows if you will need it. Yes you can deal on it, but that doesn't mean your dealer will come down in price and you're looking at anywhere from about $1,000 to $1,800......depending on how long you take it for.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:12 AM
tlyoungb
Intermediate
Default Extended Warranty

Well I can say for me it did come in handy when I needed. I took my 2005 Electra Glide Standard in for Tires. Front and Rear. I have 45k on mine. Well the service tech walked out side to look at the blue beast, and noticed some oil around the shifter shaft in the transmission. It was covered with dirt, so it sorta kept the oil from dripping out and dropping on the floor.

He asked if I had an extended warranty. Whipped out the card and he wrote down the number. Surprise! It was covered under warranty. Not only that, they found 3 other oil seals that need replaceing and a bearing. All covered under the extended warranty. They have to pull the inner primary and everything. I only paid 50.00 bucks for that work.

So yea. It does come in handy when you need it. I am covered till 2012, so I will keep it.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Another way for the dealer to make more money.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:33 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

I've never purchased it. 1) I'm on my 3rd Harley and have never had any problems. 2) On the Heritage the price was ridiculous. and 3) If my bike's out of warranty and needs service I can't perform myself, I'd rather take it to an indy. I've found the dealership service to be awful.

Quick Reply: New Harley Extended Warranty