General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance difference between custom harleys and stock

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:39 AM
♠AceOfSpades♠
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance difference between custom harleys and stock

I Have an 09 night train ordered and man I cant wait. But I look at the some of the custom bikes harley has made and have out in the show room. A couple of them are amazing! Upgrading the train to get half the look these bikes have would cost me a ton more then to just get a custom.. However! they tell me insurance on a custom bike as appose to a stock bike is way higher and I would almost be paying the same for insurance as the payment. Is this true? or are they scaring me from backing out of getting the train that is shipping in.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:44 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not always true. I customized my wifes Deluxe (added over 12k in parts) and simply had my insurance add more coverage for the add on's.

Check with your Insurance company. Most give 2-3k in add on coverage, but you can increase that

Old 08-13-2008, 05:01 AM
hogrider98
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my wifes cvo springer is 3 times moe expensive to insure then my roadglide

Brian

Old 08-13-2008, 07:14 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Not always true.My broinlaw had his built RKC stolen.He was paying regular rates with State Farm.State Farm cut him a check for almost what he had in the bike.
What saved him was he had saved all the reciepts and had before and after pics of his bike.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:26 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a custom Fat Boy that I have insured for an "agreed" value. I have an appraisel that my indy did stating the value of the bike. I had to do this because when I bought the bike it was already 75% cutomized and I did not have receipts for all the parts.

Last edited by mattman22033; 08-13-2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:31 AM
girlslikechef
Tourer

Anyone know what insurance is for V-rods ?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:53 AM
smudge
Tourer

Depends on what you call a "custom". Mine is built with Harley parts but on a Paughco twin shock frame. As a result the bike is registered as a custom motorcycle, not as a Harley. Insurance with Nationwide is about $100 per year. I do have all of the reciepts, totalling nearly $11K. Agreed value is probably the best way.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

if you do not change the frame but use ad ons and keep receipts you will be fine.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Mr springer
Cruiser

Mine is insured for Declared value....
currently $27,000
If i say its worth $50,000 my premiums would go up accordingly

Old 08-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lord knows, I have been caught with my head you know where more than once, and this may be one of those times, BUT,
what I believe we are dealing with is "Custom" as in NOT HD. Big Dog, PoorGay, AIH, home built, etc. Not a juiced up HD.
Up here, if my memory serves me, the key is the HD eng. #. We use that for registration, and thus your ins co will see it as an HD. We have done some amazing chit to Harley cases to get the paperwork.
Doesn't mean a Big Dog is better, cost more to replace, or is stolen more than an HD, just that they can say it is 'custom' and jack your rates.
The chop, is titled as an HD, and we insure it thru AARP (Age has it's drawbacks ) and they ins it for stated value, NO appraisal req'd., as with others. My thinking is, they are thinking, anyone in AARP doesn't ride that much. (?)
I believe the CVO's cost more to insure, even tho they are HD, because of their initial value.
Still the BEST method, is receipts, pics, and documentation. Like it or not, they are in the biz of separating you from your $$, and keeping it if possible. That's how they keep getting larger.
I cringe when I read posts on here 'bout the nightmares of just registering a 'custom' in some states, let alone all the hassles, etc with an ins claim. No harm intended, but even tho you spend 35G or 40G or more, for a CVO, bottom line, it is still a Harley on paper to them, not a custom.
Flame Away.

Quick Reply: Insurance difference between custom harleys and stock