General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long trip in many years - what fun!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Blackmore
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool First long trip in many years - what fun!

Well, finally got back on 2 wheels a few months ago and this past weekend took a nice long trip, just over 2000 miles.

Started out in South-West Michigan and ended up in Myrtle Beach. We took the long way down via highways hitting IN, OH, KY, TN, NC and SC. Drove through some cool small towns along the way. The ride through the mountians was very nice, great scenery. Along the way we stopped in at a Waffle House to grab some grub. I think we must have been scary looking since the people there kept giving us dirty looks but most of the day on the road, I bet we just smelled the place up. It took 2 days getting there, stayed first night in Asheville, NC heading out in the morning to Myrtle Beach.

Having never been in Myrtle Beach before it was pretty cool, a zoo at times but cool. I don't think I ever saw so many miniature golf courses in my life not to mention t-shirt shops. Visited the local Harley shop and another custom shop as well to talk to some of the locals and get the obligitory t-shirts.

During our stay down there we caught a great band at the Rock-n-Roadhouse, the Tim Clark Band. Good tight band! They are toward the South end. Had some good eats while there too. Found a great Mexican place and had fajitas and margaritas.

After a couple of nights there we had to head out, so it was Iron Butt all the way home. 900+ miles in under 20 hours. Could not believe how friggin' cold it got for summer. Froze my *** off ridin' through the night.

Learned a few things though.

A HD Badlander seat sucks big time for long rides, my *** is still scared of my bike!
Drag handle bars look great but not comfortable for the long ride as well.
I need to build a baffle to stop the wind coming off my tank when I have the windshield on, it was almost as bad as not having anything.

I had loads of fun and can't wait to go again. Told my wife about how much fun it was and she would like to go, just not on the wide glide. Maybe rent a bagger for a weekend and see how she likes it. Might get me the excuse to eventually get an ultra glide.

I'm definitely going back regardless of what BS some people are trying down there. Every place we went, we were more than welcomed.

Some pictures from the trip

Cool old buildings in OH

Mountians at the rest area

At the hotel

Bikes at the beach

Clouds over the mountains coming back

The wife snapped this picture just after I got back. 20+ hours of hard riding in the cold kinda make you look like Americas Most Wanted. I think her first comment to me was "You Stink!"

Old 08-13-2008, 11:51 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stink and get a haircut while you're at it......(just jealous)
Sounds like a great time was had...thanks for the pics..

Old 08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like you had a heck of a good time.
And dont worry about how you looked when you got home. I look like that every day, and love every minute of it

Old 08-13-2008, 11:56 AM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Great story and thanks for the pics. If you had done the ride on my SG with the Sundowner seat you would not be back yet!! Then again I am getting older and like my comforts. Again, great story and thanks!!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:43 PM
hdlowryder
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm Jealous. I'm glad you had a great ride. Everyone needs to do one like that every couple of years. My most memorable was riding from NH to The Dragon via the Parkway. Did this 4 years ago and thinking of reliving it next June.
Thanks for sharing the fun.
Mark.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:56 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

Long trips are very therapeutic for me. Just to get out on the highway and go where I haven't been. Three years ago I did a 5600 mile trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and then down to Ohio, visiting relatives along the way plus one old friend. Two years ago, I did a 3700 run up to Canada, checking out Lake Louise and Glacier National Park, over to Vancouver and then back home via Reno and Highway 50 "The Lonliest Highway in the World". Trying to think of another trip to take. Maybe New England if I can get kitchen pass.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 AM
JKK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on getting your road trip in

Im fairly amazed you got those bikes to stay up on ther jiffy stand in that loose sand though!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKK
congrats on getting your road trip in

Im fairly amazed you got those bikes to stay up on ther jiffy stand in that loose sand though!

Ummmm...........it LOOKS like pavement to me, but I could be blinder than I thought!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:29 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man you do stink! I can smell you way down here!
Sounds like you had a good time! Enjoy it while your young. This old body can't take much abuse anymore.