General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big guys?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 12:56 AM
frostydawg69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big guys?

listen up guys as some of you my know Im getting ready to by my first Harley and I was considering the 09 superglide custom, but my question is: Is the any big guys out there that ride one of these. I rode my buddies 07 superglide and I thought it fit me fine but Im 6'3" and 300 lbs so I was wondering do I need to get a bigger bike? I like everything about the superglide custom but I just wanna make sure I will be happy riding it with the wife. I would try it on my buddies bike but hes not set up for 2 up riding so no go. So Im calling all the bigs on superglides to chime in and let my know Im making the right choice. I also wanna say that if anyones in anderson SC you need to stop by Timms HD between them and you guys here Im learning more than I ever thought I would! Thanks in adavance for all your help.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:27 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't own a superglide, but I may have some advice. I am 6'1", and weigh 300 lbs. When I bought my bike I weighed 365 lbs. I rented a ton of bikes, to see what fit me right. I was fine on the heritage, but when I added the wife, the look was just completely wrong. We looked terrible on the bike. The ride was fine, but she was very cramped. So, I moved up to touring bike. They all fit the two of us fine. I ended up buying a road king custom, and I don't regret it. The bike fits me great (with highway pegs), and with the two of us on there, we are both comfortable. Unfortunately, the wife no longer rides with me. She now rides her own bike, which is great, but I do miss my backrest, LOL.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but if it was my money, I wouldn't even begin to consider anything smaller than a road king...

Old 08-17-2008, 01:43 AM
frostydawg69
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PapaTravis
I don't own a superglide, but I may have some advice. I am 6'1", and weigh 300 lbs. When I bought my bike I weighed 365 lbs. I rented a ton of bikes, to see what fit me right. I was fine on the heritage, but when I added the wife, the look was just completely wrong. We looked terrible on the bike. The ride was fine, but she was very cramped. So, I moved up to touring bike. They all fit the two of us fine. I ended up buying a road king custom, and I don't regret it. The bike fits me great (with highway pegs), and with the two of us on there, we are both comfortable. Unfortunately, the wife no longer rides with me. She now rides her own bike, which is great, but I do miss my backrest, LOL.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but if it was my money, I wouldn't even begin to consider anything smaller than a road king...
do you mind if I ask how big your wife is? I know you shouldn't ask that but Im trying to see if we are in the same boat?

Old 08-17-2008, 02:05 AM
hardpill
Cruiser

I would have to say, that if you want comfort, you want a touring bike. The dyna's are awesome bikes but they don't have the capabilities of handling weight comfortably as the touring's air adjustable shocks. Set your psi to your liking and go. Being 300 by yourself without adding passenger you're already pretty well loaded. Touring bikes are also more manueverable at lower speed with the higher weight. In the end you gotta go with the gut, the one that speaks to you.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:11 AM
frostydawg69
Cruiser

well I guess its not as much the comfort as it is I just wanna make sure we will fit! lol

Old 08-17-2008, 04:18 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

I'm 6'6" by 210 pounds and find my Superglide Custom quite comfortable.
Only thing, with your weight and encumbrance I believe the Road King PapaTravis recommended is the right choice. You could end up pretty cramped, and the Superglide Custom rear suspension had to be adjusted pretty hard to accomodate me and my 130 pounds wife.