General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:22 AM
bdorr67
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Torque Wrench

Looking to purchase a couple torque wrenches (ft. pounds & inch pounds). Looking over at the Sears Craftsman line I thought those were huge for working on a bike.

Can you recommend a good wrench for working on motorcycles?

Thanks!

Last edited by bdorr67; 08-28-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:25 AM
millekj
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As this is Labor Day weekend, I am optimistic that Sears will have a sale on torque wrenches so I look forward to any and all replies to this post.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:38 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ordered an inch and a foot lb. torque wrench from Harbor Freight. Several forum members recommended them. I have used them the last 2 years with no problems. They are less then 1/2 the cost of the Craftsman ones, so I would have probably not gotten them, thinking they were crap, but thanks to the good reviews I got them.
Tom

Old 08-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Ultra110
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Sears torque wrenches are fine if you only use them occasionally. I do however use the 'snap' or 'release' type, as the beam type are a pain in the *** to see soem times and I feel not as accurate. I have gone through several of them and eventually the handles loosen up . This presents an accuracy problem as the value is read through a window in the handle. You can change the value just by jiggleing the handle, not good for accuracy. I ended up spending a bit more money on the Matco brand. Snap-On makes a good one also. These can be purchased online. You will need a couple of different sizes I have a 1/2 inch drive that goes from 25-250 ft lbs and a 3/8 dribe that goes from like 10-120 ft lbs and then a small 3/8 that reads in inch pounds. The old adage is you get what you pay for. Just remember to that accuracy is usually in th emiddle of the range and falls off near the top and bottom of the range so several wrenches with overlapping ranges are essential, loosen the setting when not in use and never use them to loosen the fastners. JMHO

Old 08-28-2008, 09:43 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Default Snap-On Is great if you want to spend the$$

Have both Snap-On and Pittsburg MFG. Both great!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Sears Craftsman for Inch/Lbs, Craftsman for Ft/Lbs and a cheap-o off brand from Pep Boys for my rear axle, and have never had issues. Even though I love Harbor Freight, the torque wrench I got there was total junk, and I ended up stripping my primary cover using it. I exchanged it, and the second torque wrench was even worse. I recommend paying a little extra, and getting a quality torque wrench when it comes to working for your bike, you get what you pay for.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:48 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the foot pound and inch pound Craftsman wrenches and they work great.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra110
Sears torque wrenches are fine if you only use them occasionally. I do however use the 'snap' or 'release' type, as the beam type are a pain in the *** to see soem times and I feel not as accurate. I have gone through several of them and eventually the handles loosen up . This presents an accuracy problem as the value is read through a window in the handle. You can change the value just by jiggleing the handle, not good for accuracy. I ended up spending a bit more money on the Matco brand. Snap-On makes a good one also. These can be purchased online. You will need a couple of different sizes I have a 1/2 inch drive that goes from 25-250 ft lbs and a 3/8 dribe that goes from like 10-120 ft lbs and then a small 3/8 that reads in inch pounds. The old adage is you get what you pay for. Just remember to that accuracy is usually in th emiddle of the range and falls off near the top and bottom of the range so several wrenches with overlapping ranges are essential, loosen the setting when not in use and never use them to loosen the fastners. JMHO
+1 Amen to that.
Sometimes I make my living using them,................. on YOUR scoot.
What would you like me to use? Jus' aksin'. (No, it's not misspelled )

Old 08-28-2008, 01:10 PM
fotoflojoe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Snap-On and Craftsman torque wrenches. Snap-Ons are excellent. Craftsman is "Ok"; it's a twist-handle clicker calibrated in inch/lbs.

Snap-Ons have a dial specifying the precise setting;
3/8" drive, 18~80lb range, adjustable in 2lb increments
1/2" drive, 50~250lb range, adjustable in 5lb increments
These ALWAYS work as advertised

Craftsman has a twist handle marker that lines up with a scale stamped on the shaft;
3/8" drive, 20~240in range, adjustable in 1in increments
Works pretty well. In practice, it can be difficult to dial in the exact value you need. Twist handle markers don't always line up with the scale on the shaft.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Ric27
Road Captain

Craftsman torque wrenches have a poor quality rating on their current line. I'd stay away form them. I got a decent one at Ace Hardware for about $45. It is adjustable for every torque spec on my bike. Works good.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench