General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys made in AMERICA

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:59 PM
MR. SCOOTINN
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harleys made in AMERICA

What percantage of new harley parts on thier bikes are american made & not imported ?...I know they are assembled here..But not all the parts are american made nor are the after market parts for them..So what percantage of a harley is american made...I would guess 60/40...The american side leading?..

Old 08-30-2008, 03:06 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

There's a % that must be manufactured here to permit the "Made in the U.S.A." label. It's well over 60%, but I don't know what it is, and haven't got the gumption to look it up.

Edit: Found some gumption since I have to sit here waiting on a call. There is no legal percentage required. The words are "All or substantially all", but there is no legal definition of exactly what that means. There was a proposal, never implemented, that would've required a minimum of 75% of total manufacturing costs for the "Made in the U.S.A." label.

In 2005 there was more domestic content in an HD than 15 years previously, according to one article I read.

How much content is now U.S.? Beats me; couldn't find it with a quick search. But HDs still meet the "All or substantially all" requirement, so I reckon that's good enough for now.

Last edited by pococj; 08-30-2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Got gumption!
Old 08-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Mr Zip
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may be none, I don't know. At least its an american corporation, run by americans. If thats all I get, thats good enough I guess.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:38 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm getting ready to put a new SE air filter on my Softail, and it's stamped "Made In USA", so I guess I'll at least have USA air flowing into my engine through a USA filter.

Guess that's a good start.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:51 PM
hardpill
Cruiser

I like the union labels on mine. Gives me the assurance that at least some of the money will stay in the USA

Old 08-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go to buy accessories or replacement parts, it makes you wonder how much of the original bike is Made in USA...the replacement parts sure aren't.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:18 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

OK....flame me if you must..and yeah I know this is off topic....but.....since the King of Beers is no longer owned by Americans....I guess I'll have to start drinking Schlitz again...read that they were going back to the original formula....it used to be a great beer....

Old 08-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Miami Cruzer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't be shocked if some of the parts are made by some "Asian"..............
afterall, those people made products so good that our car companies are really hurting.

But the money is, as a previous poster said, is going to an AMERICAN CORP and their employees.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:44 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont care where a part is made as long as it is made with quality materials and passes lots and lots of stress tests and such to make sure it will last.

but for motorcycle DESIGN on the other hand, some countries do it better than others. HD, Italy,

i dislike BMW and although triumphs are total classics, most of them look hobbled together from different parts with too much space in between engine and frame and stuff like that. the newer triumphs have some better design but i dont think its on par with other manufacturers

Old 08-30-2008, 06:52 PM
HDJaco
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Miami Cruzer
But the money is, as a previous poster said, is going to an AMERICAN CORP and their employees.
The corp yes, but if the parts are made in another country the company there and not the people here are appreciating the benefits.

Quick Reply: Harleys made in AMERICA