Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   bad experience on the road (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/275464-bad-experience-on-the-road.html)

l.ray 09-09-2008 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by krwould (Post 3847692)
I had bikers pass me going north on my left while I am on a four lane in the left side of the lane. They are passing head on in the south bound lane for what ever reason I cannot figure it out! They weren't crotch rockets either!

What??

blueridgerider 09-09-2008 02:56 PM

i am in the left lane of two lanes. nothing to my immediate right for quit aways.

I interpreted that statement differently than you intended - as you're clarification makes evident.

Joe Diver 09-09-2008 02:56 PM

Around here drivers have zero tolerance for left lane campers. They'll ride your ass until you move outta the way...even if you only have a small gap on the right they expect you to get over and let them by, then get back in the passing lane. If not, they'll use the gap, pass you on the right, and swerve back in the left lane in front of you. People blocking the passing lane are a real source for road rage here.....

DannyZ71 09-09-2008 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Diver (Post 3847752)
Around here drivers have zero tolerance for left lane campers. They'll ride your ass until you move outta the way...even if you only have a small gap on the right they expect you to get over and let them by, then get back in the passing lane. If not, they'll use the gap, pass you on the right, and swerve back in the left lane in front of you. People blocking the passing lane are a real source for road rage here.....

That's funny, because every time I have to flash my headlights to get someone to move to the right so I can pass, they have Texas license plates on their vehicle.

Big Sled 09-09-2008 03:11 PM

Now... you Okies and Texicans doncha start your fussin and feudin again! Why doncha just have a football game or sometning to settle it?;)

Originally Posted by DannyZ71 (Post 3847790)
That's funny, because every time I have to flash my headlights to get someone to move to the right so I can pass, they have Texas license plates on their vehicle.

Joe Diver 09-09-2008 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by DannyZ71 (Post 3847790)

It's because when we drive in Oklahomo we don't give a **** about anyone.;)

KBFXDLI 09-09-2008 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by mark10 (Post 3847673)
quite a lot of threads on bad cagers and things they have done.

i am sure that over time, something will happen worse than this, but this is the most recent one and the one that really scared me.

we have all had someone sneak up on us and caught us off guard - or someone who kinda appeared out of nowhere.

i was heading out to sturgis, going north on the interstate between souix city and souix falls. driving along around 75mph. my support vehicle (aka wife, she doesn't ride) behind me. i am in the left lane of two lanes. nothing to my immediate right for quit aways. riding along in the middle of the lane.

next thing i know, i get passed on my left by some ahole going what seems like way over 90. appeared out of nowhere. he was less than a foot to my left.

thats correct, to my left.
there was no reason he could't have just used the lane to the right and passed me normal.

i check the rear view mirrors often and never ever saw him coming.

it was just all of a sudden. i thought i heard something to my left, but it didn't make sense. one of those situations where your mind goes thru multiple iterations of what could be happening in no time flat. i took a quick look at the left mirror and there was something there. next thing he was next to me. and luckily i was able to read the situation and not over react and swerve to my right too quickly. at 75 you just don't swerve quick.

the thing that just made this so weird is that it was another biker.

i can't believe that one biker would put another biker in that situation, or even put himself in that situation.

he must have had either some real confidence in my riding ability or a death wish.

like WTF.

The reason I did that was because you and your OL were going way to f#@king SLOW....:D

j/k

mark10 09-09-2008 03:20 PM

yeh - i don't like people who camp in the left - which is why when i am there i will check often for people coming up

he just came up so fast it was crazy.

if i had seen him, i would have moved over. i try to avoid situations, not make them.

if i see someone coming up, i make a call if i should speed up to get around the next vehicle or get over and slow down.

i assume that the guy coming up will slow down or want to slow down, so i do what i can. i always turn the signal on, just in case he is thinking about passing me on the left.

what this guy did was just not called for.

Harley_Dude 09-09-2008 03:23 PM

The reason I did that was because you and your OL were going way to f#@king SLOW....

Correct, the passing (left) lane is for passing, the right lane is for folks going the suggested speed limit. Your other problem was you were on the interstate.

Double00Aught 09-09-2008 03:27 PM

I had a very similar situation once, but I was driving the fleet vehicle. It is a service van with a very large blind spot. Can't turn your head to look out the windows and the mirrors are normal car mirrors, not the truck kind that minimizes the blind spot. I pass an 18-wheeler in the left lane and before I am able to make the lane change back to the right lane this sport bike comes outta no where and tries passing me on the right. I don't even know he's there and begin to make my lane change. At the very last moment I hear his engine and immediately pull back left. It must've scared the chit out of him too cause he rode the speed limit and at a safe distance after that.