General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best all around hot weather jacket, anything better than this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:21 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluzmn59
I have the Tourmaster Intake Air and it is very light and comfortable with good air flow and two zip-in liners. I have it in white because it isn't a fashion statement anyway so why not be as cool as possible on hot days?
+1 on this jacket.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:31 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Living in SW Florida, just about all my riding is in hot/warm weather and 1/2 the year it is very humid.
I have a Tourmaster, Cortech, Coastal Air jacket that is perforated leather, with removable liner and a Power Trip Voodoo jacket that is a combination of mesh and has leather in the areas where you are most likely to hit the pavement.
The Voodoo was half the price of the Coastal Air and doesn't come with a liner. Both jackets come with armor.
I prefer the Voodoo. It was recommended by members of this forum, otherwise I never would have considered it. The Voodoo is like putting on a nylon windbreaker, very comfortable and light. It is just as comfortable, in hot weather with it on as just using a t-shirt. As soon as I park the bike, I remove the jacket or else you will get pretty warm.
For the price I payed for the Tourmaster I feel like I should wear it more often, but I almost always wear the Voodoo.
Tom

Old 09-17-2008, 12:28 PM
kered
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree with rebel...perforated is the way to go...check out the alpinestars stage jackets...it is the perforated leather and has a removable liner on the inside...i live in fla as well and never ride without my jacket...once youre riding it feels like an airconditioner blowing in...once it starts to get colder...just zip in the liner and youre good to go

Old 09-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tano01
How about a mesh jacket? HD has a hydration vest that goes with them that might do the trick.
Exactly what I wear in the desert heat! I already had the mesh HD jacket and threw the HD Hydration Vest under it. Wow! I rode through areas where the temps were over 110 degrees and the only part of me that was hot was my face! The Hydration Vest was the best $40 I have EVER SPENT!

Old 09-17-2008, 05:34 PM
maddoggreene
Cruiser

Try First Gear jackets.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

Here are a few things I've learned from the two jackets I use (currently one for > 75 degrees, one for below 75).

I started out wearing the one I now use for below 75 in the summer (that summer got to around 100 degrees). This is a solid jacket with two vents in the chest, one in the back. Needless to say, unless you were moving there was no airflow, so in stop and go commuter traffic it was less than ideal. When I was using it on the highway the problem was that the air couldn't leave the jacket as fast as it was coming in the front, so it created a drag chute effect.

I then picked up an all mesh Fieldsheer jacket. Even at stops it is pretty comfortable. I think the tradeoff between direct sun hitting the skin and having something blocking direct air evens out so you're just as cool in the mesh jacket as not in it. There is no drag on the highway since air runs right through it. It's also about half the weight of the solid jacket (both are textile by the way).

I also recently used one of the cooling vests that were mentioned here. I will say that it helped a bit in the almost 100 degree, 100% humidity that happened on a run into Arkansas. However, keep in mind that after soaking it that thing will weigh about 15 or so pounds. Wearing it felt like I was wearing one of those lead vests they put on you in the dentist office when they take X-Rays.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:19 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one of the HD Switchback jackets. It's not quite as cool as a all mesh jacket but being able to switch the panels out is great for the 40 degree temp swing some days here in the Reno area.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

Old 09-17-2008, 07:39 PM
NHNightster
Cruiser

I have one of the Joe Rocket Phoenix jackets and couldn’t be happier on hot days.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:41 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 944 Posts

I have a Vanson perforated leather jacket that is about 10 years old. It will last longer than I will. Vanson uses the same leather and technique that they use on their race leathers for these jackets. Tough, tough leather. Just a lot of small holes. It wasn't cheap, but probably less than "genuine" HD made in Pakistan or Korea or wherever. Vanson's are made somewhere up north. Top quality stuff. If you're going to go sliding down the pavement let the cows pay!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear this jacket, in black, in the BRUTAL South South South Florida Summer Sun.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/prod...ctid=29&cat=25

I'm guessing that it is about 300 degrees when stopped at a light. It is just as hot with or without my jacket. So I wear one 95% of the time.

Quick Reply: Best all around hot weather jacket, anything better than this?