General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best all around hot weather jacket, anything better than this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 06:46 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best all around hot weather jacket, anything better than this?

I was in an accident recently, and am coming to terms w/ the fact that road rash is not for me. I was wearing boots and jeans, but i realized had the accident been any worse, the road rash could get pretty ugly up top.

I stay pretty hot, I'm the first guy to start sweating when it starts to warm up, and it's all I can do just to keep w/ the jeans and boots in the summer, prior to riding again, my jeans wouldn't see the light of day in the hot southern summers. This was my excuse for not wearing a protective jacket of any kind when it got hot, but I planned to look for a better summer jacket to see what I could find.

I was not motivated by the high prices of what little I did see out there, but now am willing to pay for the right jacket, based on my recent experience.

So, I see this jacket at the local HD store, after seeing it online:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

It's a leather jacket, w/ pockets for armor in the elbows and shoulders. It has zippers everywhere for a couple reasons...

With leather intact, you can vent across the shoulders/chest, and vent vertically in rear.

For hot weather, you can unzip the front and back into one solid removeable piece, leaving leather across the bottom, across the top of your shoulders, and down the length of your arms, keeping the leather and the armor on to protect you, but exposing the mesh on front and back for breathability. They refer to this as switchback.

Then in the evenings, or when it's cooler, zip the leather back in for full leather protections and warmth, etc.

While I don't need HD logos everywhere, at least this jacket is basic black, and the patterns and piping is reflective for night riding, but otherwise not noticeable. I also like the fact it looks like a crusier jacket, and not so much like the sport bike jackets, although ideally, I could find a jacket that could go either way.

I've tried looking online, but I don't know where else to look locally. I plan on going to a couple local indy stores, but have not seen anything there in the past. I've searched the forums here, and google in general, and have seen references to some jackets, but I either don't like the appearance, material, or think they'd be too hot or expensive (more than $300-$500 for just one jacket, I need a good summer and winter jacket right now).

While this jacket is expensive, at around $500, to me it's two in one, a summer jacket, and a winter jacket for my region. The main thing is, it's mesh version still has leather/armor on the shoulders and arms, but is light enough that I might actually wear it in the summer.

I'm just trying to be realistic, most of the canvas, leather, or other materials I've seen, are just gonna be too hot for me, I won't be able to deal w/ it most of the time, so I'm trying to find something that I think I can actually deal with and commit to wearing, and still see some protective benefit from it, and in this case have full protection when not so hot.

I'm not trying to justify my point of view, just trying to stress my thinking behind my goal here, to see if anyone has any better ideas/sources to accomplish my intention here, since I've had such a hard time finding something so far.

Thanks.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:12 AM
Dixie Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also huntin for a light jacket that will keep me from catching road rash...saw a new jacket at a HD dealer this weekend, has a fair amount of mesh and armor in the right places and since I live in Florida this looks like it will work. I think they called it slade and it is grey with the skull theme. It was listed at $175. Since I am recoverin from a recent accident and have a fair amount of road rash I will pay the price with asmile on my face. Hope this helps.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Dixie Rider
Cruiser

My bad, the jacket is called "blade"... sorry

Old 09-15-2008, 08:18 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

If the link below does not work I have included the item number for you to look at, I also battle with the heat, this jacket has the padding in sholders and elbows, it is exceptionally cool while riding, I live in UAE with temperatures over 112deg f for 3/4 months a year and I have ridden with this jacket through this heat, it does get hot when stopped but is great when you are moving, I would recomend it +- $150-00 if you can blow up my avatar pic you will se I am wearing the jacket.
98225-06VM

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by nigelgeast; 09-15-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:28 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i picked up a Harley Hydrator mesh jacket in Horn Lake, MS saturday. list at $185 was on sale for $125. has three pockets that hold water soaked packets for cooling. also has protection in the forearms and upper arms in case of a fall. the mesh is ventilated extremely well. will test this saturday during the Trail of Tears run.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Tourmaster Intake Air and it is very light and comfortable with good air flow and two zip-in liners. I have it in white because it isn't a fashion statement anyway so why not be as cool as possible on hot days?

Old 09-15-2008, 09:55 AM
1200babe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amazing how After the fall everyone always gets concerned and decides to gear up. I guess a lot of riders just figure they are so good that they will never take a fall and get to meet Mr Pavement. try www.newenough.com for great prices on mesh and other jackets and gear. Of course it will not have the HD logo on it but it will also not have the huge price tags.try Joe Rocket, Cortech etc. for black jackets

Old 09-15-2008, 10:14 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I wear a jacket in the summer it's a Levi jacket - my wife wears her Schott leather jacket regardless of the heat. When I lived in Florida one of my friends just removed all the lining from his jacket, so it was just a single layer of leather - of course that was a jacket I bought used in Daytona and then sold him, so he had about $30 in it - you may not feel that way about a $450 jacket from the Harley store.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Volfan615
Tourer

Check out the Olympia Airglide II from Olympia Moto Sports. I wear mine all summer and never get hot.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:31 AM
tano01
Road Captain

How about a mesh jacket? HD has a hydration vest that goes with them that might do the trick.

Quick Reply: Best all around hot weather jacket, anything better than this?