General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about leather helmets, and fit over the ears of half helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:28 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question about leather helmets, and fit over the ears of half helmet

I'm wondering about a couple things. Local indy shop had a fairly low profile dot helment from vega:

Happened to be this one, in a size that fit me. I know there's talk of a few different helmets, all claiming to be smallest dot, etc., but I've not been able to find too many around here to try on, so this was one of the smallest feeling/looking helmets I could try on.

At first, I wasn't sure about the visor thing, but he said he had one and liked it coz you can also get a removable face shield that fits them which may be good for certain types of rain, so I guess that's one thing I'd like feedback on.

I also liked it better than the gloss or flat black painted options, I figured it shouldn't be any harder to care for than the leather bags of the RKC, right? Or wrong? Just making sure no one has had significant issues w/ a leather helmet coming apart at the seams so to speak, or ripping easily or whatever.

Also, the one thing I noticed about some of these, and other helmets, is that the triangle around the ear area don't completely come down to expose my entire ear, so the strap on the triangle is at my ear lobe or something, I only have one other half helmet to compare it to, and the open triangle went more around my ear, than over it.

I think one reason for this on this helmet is I think the entire line has removable covers to help keep the ears warm in the winter, which again may be a nice feature for a half helmet, but again didn't know if there was any difference in feel or sound once on the road with the way it lines up w/ the ears.

Hope that makes sense, interested in experiences, thanks.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I both have had these helmets for three years. We like them. No issues. But the are not like a novelty helmet either. We switch between a couple of styles of helmets depending upon the time of year or the destinations but use this helmet mostly during the summer.
Ratkiller

Old 09-24-2008, 02:35 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have noticed the fitment , in the last few years of half shells has apparently changed , used to my helmets , the triangle exposed my ears , now the triangle is higher , and my ears are around the strap somewhere , so , apparently the helmet is sitting higher on the head ..

Old 09-24-2008, 09:17 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Have either of you noticed any difference in feel or sound down the road w/ the higher triangle? I'm guessin it's not a huge deal, but thought I'd ask...

As for this helmet, like I said, it has the removable ear warmers as an option, which may be related to the placement, but I do see they also have another helmet that *appears* to have a larger opening, or lower, but prob doesn't have the warmer option...

Oh, ratkiller, do you have the leather version like this, w/ the visor? If so, are they easy to care for, and have you ever then used the shield as an option? Just curious...

Thanks

Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 AM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I havent noticed a difference , other than it doesnt seem to be as comfortable as the one it replaced ..