General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Websites - You Pick

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:38 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd keep it really simple. A lot of folks get caught up in fancy and make the page load slowly (flash presentations) or make the pages so busy you can't find anything quickly.

I'd make the graphics minimal and the menu prominent. Make things easy to find.

I'd copy the highly successful sites like google, yahoo, ebay, amazon. Nothing fancy but what you need is in your face.

I'd probably have to sell that to the owners because they probably want a really impressive, fancy look to the site. Those sites are usually losers though. People use the net for speed and convenience.

One more time. If the purpose is to actually sell items, I'd keep it simple. Google, Yahoo, Ebay, Amazon. Add a simple logo showing the business name and an HD logo in it. Focus on menus. Maybe you think I'm crazy, but you can't argue really with the huge success of sites with that style.

Good luck!

$.02

Old 09-26-2008, 08:42 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Diver
The site must load quickly, every time. I have no patience for slow loading, graphic intensive sites with alot of java script. I'll go somewhere else.

I want to go to the site I select, not an "intro" flash player. I hate that and searching for a "skip" link is bogus.

Make the menu links easy to see and use.

A link to current inventory is FAR BETTER than a generic link back to HD corporate when looking at bikes.

A llink to their ebay store is required.

If you try to install adaware or spyware cookies I'll delete them and you forever. You'll be blocked.

Make it browser generic. Webs that are optimized for a specific browser are lame and smack of bush league...when I see "optimized for IE" I think...hmm, don't know anything and used Frontpage....

Require me to register in order to use the site (like some news stations) and I won't be back.

Resize my browser and I'll never come back.

Require some weird plugin and I won't be back.

That's all for now....

+1 and don't link back to other sites unless the link specifically says so.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:31 AM
badlandr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JBaker421
I'd keep it simple. Google, Yahoo, Ebay, Amazon. Add a simple logo showing the business name and an HD logo in it. Focus on menus. Maybe you think I'm crazy, but you can't argue really with the huge success of sites with that style.

Good luck!

$.02
Good point!
BTW I REALLY like your sig pic!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:46 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

+1~ Here is my dealers website: very easy to use and current!

http://www.bigskyharley.com/

The site must load quickly, every time. I have no patience for slow loading, graphic intensive sites with alot of java script. I'll go somewhere else.

I want to go to the site I select, not an "intro" flash player. I hate that and searching for a "skip" link is bogus.

A link to current inventory is FAR BETTER than a generic link back to HD corporate when looking at bikes.

A llink to their ebay store is required.

If you try to install adaware or spyware cookies I'll delete them and you forever. You'll be blocked.

Make it browser generic. Webs that are optimized for a specific browser are lame and smack of bush league...when I see "optimized for IE" I think...hmm, don't know anything and used Frontpage....

Require me to register in order to use the site (like some news stations) and I won't be back.

Resize my browser and I'll never come back.

Require some weird plugin and I won't be back.

That's all for now....

Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 AM
tbrenan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Webpage

the basic premise of E to E business is communication---there are many businesses on the web that DO NOT reply to an in house email ie Works Perfomance, sending my shock in for work 3 weeks no answer, a dealer in Minn. took my money for a manual ---on line---took almost a month and about $15.00 in phone calls to find out what happened

If you are ging to set up web page there has to be some responsability (sic) from the owner to be reactive to a potential customers in my experience Service Departments are the worst!!!!for non responce.

I sure could use spell check!!!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:28 AM
OdieHD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waugh HD in VA ensures that there are pictures of ALL of their available bikes on their website. This is a plus when looking to purchase a bike. As for parts, I have yet to find a dealer site that does mail order and has their current inventory on their site. The closest I've come to this is St. Paul HD that has an ebay store and is willing to work outside of ebay.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:34 AM
katiedog
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

put the asking price of the bikes on the website new and used

Old 09-26-2008, 12:07 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you work for PSN try making the site not so cookie cutter, all PSN sites look almost identical, even the sites they build for other companies.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Production numbers by year/model would be nice.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:10 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,236 Likes on 3,189 Posts

The first of these comments are key for me.

I'm impatient and have a short attention span. Hell, I don't even have the time to post the rest of the post.

For illustrative purposes, only, of course.

I would like to look at HD's official site, for instance, but I lose patience. It takes too long.

Quick Reply: HD Websites - You Pick