General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Websites - You Pick

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Willz
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Websites - You Pick

I have been employed by a Harley-Davidson dealer to consult, design and implement a new Internet website for them. I came across these forums and thought I might ask those who probably cruise the sites a few questions.

If you visit HD websites, perhaps you could tell me:

1. If you have a favorite HD website that you visit, post the link.
2. Why do you like a particular site?
3. If you have made on-line purchases from a HD dealer, what items did you purchase?
4. What do you look for when you visit a HD site as in what is most important to you? Ease of finding what you want? Specials on parts? Specials on clothing?

Any advice you could give me on what you would prefer to see on a HD deler site, I would very much appreciate.

Thank you.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:42 AM
grimreaper169
Road Captain

Lower prices

Old 09-26-2008, 07:53 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,549 Likes on 4,760 Posts

Lower prices

Old 09-26-2008, 08:09 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Lower prices and Harley-Davidson on the same site?

Now that's funny

Old 09-26-2008, 08:09 AM
jjbirdboy
Advanced

Hey Willz, Here is an example of a HD web site that I like...

www.katohd.com

The layout makes it easy to search the different departments and is also appealing to the eyes. I also like that there is a picture of each employee under their department page, and some even have a bio. Another nice feature that a lot of hd web sites have is the calendar with events and promotions coming up in the next couple of months.

Here is an example of a HD web site that I don't like...

http://www.sportmotorsharley.com/

The About Our Dealership page is more like reading a novel than a quick easy read summary. The Hot News page isn't really hot news and is never updated, and the How to Get Here page is also too much to figure out. A nice interactive map with maybe some directions typed out would be nice.

Also, apparently people like lower prices (me too). Maybe the General Manager would be willing to offer a 10% discount on parts and service to customers who print out a coupon off the web site.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:12 AM
2Sore
Road Master

I just love this one....http://www.haleshd.com/

Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Willz
Novice
Default Hey

I've looked at those sites. Thank you.

Everybody wants to buy something for less, that's our nature and, perhaps, explains why Wal-Mart is putting the little guys out of business. In any event, I'm not sure how you find cheaper HD prices by searching Google. I'm sure it's hit and miss.

One of the things I have noticed at various sites is that some include a microfiche of parts.

Do you guys order parts online? Do you already know the part numbers you need? What are you using to get your part numbers?

Do you ever look at catalogs like Kuryakyn if they are offered on-line at a HD site?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The site must load quickly, every time. I have no patience for slow loading, graphic intensive sites with alot of java script. I'll go somewhere else.

I want to go to the site I select, not an "intro" flash player. I hate that and searching for a "skip" link is bogus.

Make the menu links easy to see and use.

A link to current inventory is FAR BETTER than a generic link back to HD corporate when looking at bikes.

A llink to their ebay store is required.

If you try to install adaware or spyware cookies I'll delete them and you forever. You'll be blocked.

Make it browser generic. Webs that are optimized for a specific browser are lame and smack of bush league...when I see "optimized for IE" I think...hmm, don't know anything and used Frontpage....

Require me to register in order to use the site (like some news stations) and I won't be back.

Resize my browser and I'll never come back.

Require some weird plugin and I won't be back.

That's all for now....

Old 09-26-2008, 08:27 AM
badlandr
Road Captain
Originally Posted by Willz
I have been employed by a Harley-Davidson dealer to consult, design and implement a new Internet website for them. I came across these forums and thought I might ask those who probably cruise the sites a few questions.

If you visit HD websites, perhaps you could tell me:

1. If you have a favorite HD website that you visit, post the link.
2. Why do you like a particular site?
3. If you have made on-line purchases from a HD dealer, what items did you purchase?
4. What do you look for when you visit a HD site as in what is most important to you? Ease of finding what you want? Specials on parts? Specials on clothing?

Any advice you could give me on what you would prefer to see on a HD deler site, I would very much appreciate.

Thank you.
OK as far as "web sites" go what I like is ease of finding shop\store info, events and online inventory status.

I can't tell you how many sites I go to that it's a pain to find basic info like operation time (Open - Closed, Days, Phone Number, Map)
If I'm traveling if I can't find them easy then forget it.

Also don't forget this is the Information age if I want a bike or part.
I want to be able to see real time inventory so I'm not wasting my time on the phone or ordering online to find out it's out of stock etc...
BTW half of the time I call dealers they can't give me that info over the phone without waiting forever. It really pisses me off when they say they have it and I get there and the computer inventory was wrong.

What I also see is most shops have an event page that never gets updated or even filled out.
Let's face it dealer events are where the impulse buys happen (Tshirts, Crome, sometimes bikes too)
I can't tell you how many times I've spent $100+ for a Fing hot dog and a coke LOL!!
Hope this helps

Old 09-26-2008, 08:36 AM
badlandr
Road Captain

Oh yeah No flash and or special plugins like stated above.
Remember when we're on the road many of us will be using something like iPhones to check for the closest dealer. Like JoeD said keep it browser generic. I should work with IE, Firefox, Safari, and Crome and whatever the next flavor comes along.

Quick Reply: HD Websites - You Pick