General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy causes accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:48 AM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ngoti8tor
I think you meant to say "Fatboy RIDER causes accident". Please don't make all Fatboy owners look bad.
Maybe it wasn't even a Fatboy motorcycle. It might have been a fatboy ON a motorcycle he was referring to!

Nope, re-read. It was a Fatboy the guy was on. Sorry.

Last edited by Not E'nuff Harley; 10-31-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:05 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by ken thompson
The guy may have been riding like a dic but I'd say he was not the cause of that accident.
I would like to hear your reasoning on this one oh vibrating one!?

Old 10-31-2008, 09:58 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Juno
. Well he startles her, she slams on her brakes and the car behind her hits her and the car behind that one, hits them.
Just my take but if she was startled then she wasn't paying attention. Slamming on her brakes sounds like an overreaction to me. The others that rear ended her were obviously tailgaiting. If he had stopped he would not have received an at fault ticket in my opinion.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:59 AM
loudguy_w_louderpipe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy may have been riding like a dic but I'd say he was not the cause of that accident.
+1
Sounds like the lady over reacted to the bike.
If she would have tapped the brakes instead of slamming them....

Hopefully everyone was ok.

This should be a decree - all motorcyclists are the cause of ALL accidents.
Cagers know how to operate their vehicles & us BIKERS just make them nervous.

GEESH.
Share the road with a biker. Its not that hard.
If Obama is elected you will be sharing more than the road & that is no accident!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:17 AM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with both sides here. First, there are a bunch of inexperienced people on bikes which is not necessarily a bad thing if they ride responsibly. We were all inexperienced once. But just because you are on a small vehicle with power and agility does not mean the rules of the road no longer apply to you.

Also, the lady sure seems to have over-reacted and the tailgates got exactly what tailgating gets you - even in 5pm traffic. WE all do it, but you better be on your A game when you are lined up and travelling 35 mph bumper to bumper.

Finally, I don't think you have to take a MSF course to be a good rider. It is probably a good start, but an experienced, safe rider can teach you a whole lot and then it comes down to miles, miles, and more miles. Then some more miles, just like driving a cage. The best drivers are those that drive a bunch and actually see driving as a skill they can continually improve on. -regardless of the vehicle.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Juno
The people behind her had no idea why she suddenly stopped and I had to tell them what happened as she is getting up there in years and was somewhat shook up herself. It's a$$holes like that that give us a bad name.
Brings us to my personal belief: Once a person hits a certain age, lets say 65 or so, they should be required to retake the written for their license renewal. Just to make sure they are aware of traffic laws and such that changed or were added since they first started driving 50 or so years ago.
Take me for example. I still use turn signals, just like I was taught. But that law obviously changed since I got my mc license back in '75. Something I wasn't aware of, and need a refresher in.
At age 75 or so, some sort of test needs to be given to check reaction and general motor skills to determine if a person still has the ability to safely operate a motor vehicle or not. And then every time you renew after that(every 4-6 yrs). No one will give up the privilege to drive voluntarily. And driving is a privilege, and is only given to you after you prove the ability to do so safely.
I have no doubt that this comment will allow all sorts of self rightous, it's my God given right of freedom types to hammer my a$$ about it, but who gives a sh*t. Old people run over as many of us as a$$hole$ with cell phones! And it's always the "I didn't see him/her" or " he/she scared me half to death" B.S.!
Just my .05 worth(too long for .02)!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:33 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just my take but if she was startled then she wasn't paying attention. Slamming on her brakes sounds like an overreaction to me. The others that rear ended her were obviously tailgaiting. If he had stopped he would not have received an at fault ticket in my opinion.
+1 and once again I agree with Ken...damn this is getting scary.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:44 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
+1 and once again I agree with Ken...damn this is getting scary.
you've been schlonged!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:56 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That's the way I see it too.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:04 AM
smudge
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about stepped licensing? In Europe you MUST start out on something small and work your way up to big stuff. Personally I would like to see everyone have to ride a bike for at least a year before getting a car license. Make the bastids see what it's like from our perspective! I work at a metric dealer and I see kids with zero experience buy the latest hyper rocket and often crash it in the parking lot! One kid oppped the clutch exiting the lot onto a four lane that runs in front of the shop. He went across both near lanes, the median and the far two lanes before dumping it in some gravel. Thank God nothing was coming in any lane. God really does watch over idiots!

Quick Reply: Fatboy causes accident