General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I must just be cynical...."rant"

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:54 PM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I must just be cynical...."rant"

Before I get this out know what some will say "Buy Harley Parts" or "Keep the original on the bike". Well if I bought all HD parts I probably would still be saving for my second mod rather then my 50th.

Anyway, ordered a headlight from Eastern Performance (my first). I know they have a great rep on Ebay but it seems like 50% of all things I mail order winds up being a disappointment. The light has 3 bubbles in the chrome on the housing. Plus the connectors were missing. SURPRISE....NOT.

Sure I'll contact them and ask to return and swap. I'll end up paying the shipping even after asking for a call tag via UPS. Its just a hassle. Its the cost of doing business mail order I know but the odds of being satified first round is getting smaller all the time.

I've been in parts for over 25 years and it is just insane. If I didn't know better I would think these folks get returns and resend them hoping the next guy doesn't notice. Don't get me wrong. I've had good orders too. The odds just keep getting smaller. Spent about $850.00 with JP Cycle and no problem. Same with Phat Parts. I'm not knocking Eastern just saying "WHERE IS THE QUALITY CONTROL ON SENDING THESE THINGS OUT".....I'm done screaming.

jim

Old 11-03-2008, 09:07 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't need to say it, you already did. Uh, but you didn't say, "you get what you paid for".

Old 11-03-2008, 09:09 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the vast majority of ebayers buy "seconds" in bulk and sell without disclosing. not saying this about this particular vendor, just saying I have seen major distributors selling giant pallets of damaged parts to online sellers.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Originally Posted by tima
We don't need to say it, you already did. Uh, but you didn't say, "you get what you paid for".
+1..Ya makes yer choices, ya gotta deal with the consequences.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:38 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,105 Likes on 1,025 Posts

ebay = e-screwed ? I'm just asking! Never used ebay.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:41 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
ebay = e-screwed ? I'm just asking! Never used ebay.
I'd estimate that about 75% of the stuff I've added to mine came from ebay and I have yet to be sorry.
I've saved a Ton of $$$ and it's all OEM. No regrets here whatsoever!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Technologist
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
the vast majority of ebayers buy "seconds" in bulk and sell without disclosing. not saying this about this particular vendor, just saying I have seen major distributors selling giant pallets of damaged parts to online sellers.
Not to pick on your statement in particular, but I have to defend Eastern Performance.

They are not typical ebayers. As a matter of fact, the only reason the went to ebay was to help move their massive inventory. They have a regular sale site also, but found that alot of people go to ebay first.

They are a well-respected, long time independent... with decent pricing. If it says new, it is. AND any defect is a manufacturer defect.

I am not associated with EP, other than buying stuff from them... but everyone I know that lives near them swears by them. They know bikes, and they have some very loyal customers.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:10 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,437 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by Technologist
Not to pick on your statement in particular, but I have to defend Eastern Performance.

They are not typical ebayers. As a matter of fact, the only reason the went to ebay was to help move their massive inventory. They have a regular sale site also, but found that alot of people go to ebay first.

They are a well-respected, long time independent... with decent pricing. If it says new, it is. AND any defect is a manufacturer defect.

I am not associated with EP, other than buying stuff from them... but everyone I know that lives near them swears by them. They know bikes, and they have some very loyal customers.

Totally agreed, the remarks about Eastern are out of line. As a matter of fact, the Ebay comments are wacko too. I have over 400 Ebay transactions with about half being purchases, mostly golf & bike related. I have saved at least 30-40% or more off retail & have had only 2-3 problems at most which were all resovled easily. Like anything else, learn about the system & use common sense.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:10 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Technologist

Cool. and again, I know nothing of Eastern Performance in particular. I am just speaking in broad strokes with regard to the aftermarket industry and specifically the bottom feeders on ebay.

No disrespect intended to EP whatsoever. I apologize if my original comment implied any wrongdoing on their part.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Technologist
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
Cool. and again, I know nothing of Eastern Performance in particular. I am just speaking in broad strokes with regard to the aftermarket industry and specifically the bottom feeders on ebay.

No disrespect intended to EP whatsoever. I apologize if my original comment implied any wrongdoing on their part.

No prob, and no, your comment wasn't an implication.... I just wanted to make sure someone addressed it before it possibly became a lynching...

Quick Reply: I must just be cynical...."rant"