General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with Crotch Rockets

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:59 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Riding with Crotch Rockets

SWWilson77 & I talked a friend of ours into joining us for our evening ride. He's got a few bikes - all crotch rockets. He brought along his riding buddy, also a crotch rocket rider. We made some jokes about them trying to keep up with us, then hit the road for a nice, somewhat leisurely ride to one of our favorite coffee shops.

Surprisingly, I had to explain to them the meaning of the term "lallygagging"... they lagged behind us quite a bit, sticking close to or at the posted speed limit (I usually run 10-15 over most of the time, as long as I have clear asphalt in front of me, except in residential areas).

The last part of the run goes through a wooded area. Everyone driving that stretch usually cranks it up a bit - even the cagers (though, you do have to watch for deer and other critters). Scott & I took off, the crotch rockets stayed quite a ways back for a bit, then turned it on. I see them catch up in my mirror. Then, as I'm scanning ahead for deer and other critters, I see the trees light up above me. Concerned one of the guys in the back had hit something, I check my mirror again, and one of them is on the back wheel.

Although my invincible moron, crotch rocket days are over, I still have an appreciation for a bit of that insanity now & then... and a part of me still wants to go there. So, at the very least, I can live vicariously through others insanity.

We stopped for coffee, cigarettes, some chatting & joking, then headed home on the interstate.

I thought the crotch rocket guys might want to open it up a bit. I usually run 80-85 on that stretch of highway. I figured there might be room for a bit more.

It was insane. We started out OK. At one point, one of the guys did a wheelie at 70 MPH. Shortly after that, Scott was up ahead, we were having to do a bit of lane changing to stay at 80-ish. Then, one of the crotch rocket guys passed Scott, and it was on... the two of them took off, so, we remaining two followed. Easily topped 100 in a few sections (the first time I've done that on my bike). Awesome rush, loads of fun, and, probably pretty stupid. Not something I want to get into the habit of doing very often.

The most insane part is my wife. She sits on the back while I do this stuff. She must really have confidence in me. Anyway, the really insane part - Told her I could snag my nephew's CB1000RR and take her out to do some wheelies, run up towards 200 mph, and enjoy some real insanity... and she wants to do that. Kind of scares me. I hope she never talks me into it.

I know I'll probably get ragged on by some people here, but, I know there are also those of us who ride a bike because going fast and getting a bit crazy now and then is damn fun. I've been behaving pretty well since I got back into riding, but... some times you just gotta say "Oh, what the F#&K" and go for it.

... sliding in sideways saying "Hell yeah! What a ride!"

Old 11-03-2008, 11:11 PM
laytonj1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the fun.
I owned a Hayabusa and a Ducati before my Superglide.

Jim

Old 11-03-2008, 11:18 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

It is definitely a different riding style and the fun factor can and is way up there but I steer away from them anymore...I don't think that it is a good idea for me! I have enough fun crankin 113" on the rigid now and then! What ever pops your rocket but do it with some intelligence!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:30 PM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior

No harm,no foul.Sounds like everyone had a good time!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:38 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

sounds like fun to me, there's a time and a place for everything!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:39 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member

I definitely know what you mean. Had my own experience this past weekend.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:46 PM
bpetersen
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and my bros rip around all the time just do it smart and have fun....The ol lady she sits on back while I do my thing dosent say a word till we stop then I might get a eyebrow but thATS about it or she stays home hahahah, she knows I can ride if they got the confidence in ya its fun.....Ripping through Scottsdale AZ racing BMW's and the like...

Old 11-03-2008, 11:50 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a time and place for everything. Sounds like this was the time and place to do it. Now, if you were in traffic, different story. I can appreciate speed, so I'm all for it as long as you ride within your limits.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Juno
Banned

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
SWWilson77 & I talked a friend of ours into joining us for our evening ride. He's got a few bikes - all crotch rockets. He brought along his riding buddy, also a crotch rocket rider. We made some jokes about them trying to keep up with us, then hit the road for a nice, somewhat leisurely ride to one of our favorite coffee shops.

Surprisingly, I had to explain to them the meaning of the term "lallygagging"... they lagged behind us quite a bit, sticking close to or at the posted speed limit (I usually run 10-15 over most of the time, as long as I have clear asphalt in front of me, except in residential areas).

The last part of the run goes through a wooded area. Everyone driving that stretch usually cranks it up a bit - even the cagers (though, you do have to watch for deer and other critters). Scott & I took off, the crotch rockets stayed quite a ways back for a bit, then turned it on. I see them catch up in my mirror. Then, as I'm scanning ahead for deer and other critters, I see the trees light up above me. Concerned one of the guys in the back had hit something, I check my mirror again, and one of them is on the back wheel.

Although my invincible moron, crotch rocket days are over, I still have an appreciation for a bit of that insanity now & then... and a part of me still wants to go there. So, at the very least, I can live vicariously through others insanity.

We stopped for coffee, cigarettes, some chatting & joking, then headed home on the interstate.

I thought the crotch rocket guys might want to open it up a bit. I usually run 80-85 on that stretch of highway. I figured there might be room for a bit more.

It was insane. We started out OK. At one point, one of the guys did a wheelie at 70 MPH. Shortly after that, Scott was up ahead, we were having to do a bit of lane changing to stay at 80-ish. Then, one of the crotch rocket guys passed Scott, and it was on... the two of them took off, so, we remaining two followed. Easily topped 100 in a few sections (the first time I've done that on my bike). Awesome rush, loads of fun, and, probably pretty stupid. Not something I want to get into the habit of doing very often.

The most insane part is my wife. She sits on the back while I do this stuff. She must really have confidence in me. Anyway, the really insane part - Told her I could snag my nephew's CB1000RR and take her out to do some wheelies, run up towards 200 mph, and enjoy some real insanity... and she wants to do that. Kind of scares me. I hope she never talks me into it.

I know I'll probably get ragged on by some people here, but, I know there are also those of us who ride a bike because going fast and getting a bit crazy now and then is damn fun. I've been behaving pretty well since I got back into riding, but... some times you just gotta say "Oh, what the F#&K" and go for it.

... sliding in sideways saying "Hell yeah! What a ride!"
Glad to see you throw caution to the wind for a change! Was starting to worry! HAHAHA

Old 11-04-2008, 12:04 AM
bfreesun
Road Warrior

I've got a Triumph Rocket 111 as well as a Cross Bones and when I ride with friends who are on XJR, Bandits and similar Jap bikes we sometimes hit over 120.

Haven't tried a wheelie on the Rocket but there are videos out there of tricks on a Rocket
But then I'm 60 so maybe should be past that.

I am thinking of buying a Bandit with ABS though.

Quick Reply: Riding with Crotch Rockets