General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a Softail Standard - 2004

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:11 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I took the Softail for a ride this afternoon --

I was surprised at how 'crowded' the bike felt. The forwards could be extended for a more comfortable ride. The Dyna Street Bob I rode earlier in the week seemed to have more leg room.

I like the sound of the Rineharts, but they do pop a lot, especially after shifting. Is this normal?

I like the look and feel of the Carlini T bars. Contrary to what the dealer said, the bike isn't uncomfortable like he said it would be with the drag bars and lowered rear suspension.

I'm still not a huge fan of the silver powder coated engine. It's not bad looking, but I prefer the black/chrome engine like I had on the XL1200C.

The LePera seat had great lumbar support, but wasn't all that soft. I think the Sundowner is a bit more comfortable.

The seller has a sissy bar and windshield that would go with the bike, as well as the stock seat.

Shortly after leaving, I received a call from the seller's wife saying she received another call about the bike and wanted to know if I wanted the first shot at it. I told her I was interested but had to think about it a bit since I'm still looking around. A dealer I visited Thursday said he may receive an '06 Dyna Super Glide in trade shortly and the price would be under $9k. I want to check with him before I make a decision on the Softail.

Though the Softail is (I believe) a good deal, I'd prefer something a little newer, with a little less mileage. If I decide on the Softail, I'll make an offer of $8500 - 9000 and see what he says. If her doesn't accept, I'll keep shopping. As the weather gets colder, there likely will be more options available. Really it's a buyer's market and if I have some patience I'm sure I'll find a good deal.

I'm a bit limited by what I want to spend since I don't want to be any worse off (any more debt) than I was before my accident which means I don't want to spend more than about $10k.

That being said, I've pretty much narrowed my search to a few models - Dyna Super Glide Custom, Street Bob, Wide Glide and Softail Std and Custom. I want something with a mid or wide front end and I'm not a fan of the eyebrow headlight mount on the Super Glide standard and similar models. I definitely would like to avoid any handlebar mounted speedo, tach etc since prefer the cleaner look.

The quest continues....