General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a Softail Standard - 2004

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:19 AM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gilmour68
As some of you may already know, I'm in the market for a new ride...I was rear ended on October 20th and the Sporty will be totalled by the ins company. I've been looking at some Dynas lately but I came across an ad for a Softail Standard and called about it today.

I thought I'd turn to the experts here on the forum for some advice.

The bike is a Black '04 Softail Standard with the 1450 engine and a 5 speed. It has 17k miles on it. The pipes are Rhineharts, with a SE a/c. He also installed Carlini fat T bars and a Lepera seat. the rear has been lowered around 2" also. He has a rigid mount backrest that he would include.

The owner said he bought the bike new in '04 and took it to Sturgis that year. Most of the miles have been on the highway and he's maintained the bike himself. He has a bagger also and since his wife's surgery he needs to let one of the bikes go. He's asking for $10k, but I think he may go lower if I haggle a bit. My arguements for negotiating a lower price will be - it's 5 years old, has the smaller 88" engine and a 5 speed vs the 96" and 6 speeds. The KBB on the bike is only about $ 11350.

So my question basically is -- what do you think of this deal???
It must be me but I think you should be able to get that bike a bit less.I bought an '05 Standard in '07 with 10,000 miles for like $9,000.00. Did you mention if the bike is FI ? Then I sold the HD bags,backrest,luggage rack and ended up paying about $8,000.00.

I know I got a great deal BUT for you its 4 years old plenty of miles on it,winter coming,older set up....ie 88CI,5 speed, smaller rear tire. Excellent bike but non the less .....
OFFER $9000.00. There are a lot of deals out there on Standards.

jim

Old 11-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a lotta Standards / Trains out there for around 11 - 12 grand.

Your lucky that it's coming with some Rhineharts, Carlini's and a Lepera seat.

If you like it offer him a bit less than what he's asking. If he doesn't accept your bid then move on. There's lots to choose from.

Good luck

Old 11-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree on the Standard. I've enjoyed getting mine to be "not so Standard".

Old 11-08-2008, 11:00 AM
softail04
Road Master

love my 04 standard
43 thou on the clock so far and no problems did go to gear drive cams tho.
sounds like a good price to me..

Attached Thumbnails Looking at a Softail Standard - 2004-vvccxx.jpg  
Old 11-08-2008, 11:48 AM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I still ride a 1989 FXST and enjoy the hell out of it. I do take care of it by keeping it tuned and changing the oil and filter, along with tightening up any loose nuts and bolts, but other than that my bike has run flawless. It's like an old classic to me and I'm going to keep it on the road until I fall apart. Nothing wrong with an old Softail, go for it.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:35 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Stopped by a dealership today and asked about used bikes. Turns out that they had the same year and color in stock. It hadn't been checked over by their service department yet, so they hadn't put a price on it. The salesman I spoke with took me to the garage and pulled the bike out to let me sit on it to see how it felt.

I mentioned that the bike I was looking at had a lowered rear suspension and Carlini drag bars and he immediately said that the bike wouldn't ride or handle well with that setup (said it wouldn't have been comfortable). Obviously he's trying to make a sale himself. We went back inside and he pulled up a price list from '05 that listed the prices of both the carbed and FI models. It originally sold for $14k.

He then looked up the current value of the bike and it came in at $11500 - 12k+. So it seems the 10K price tag is reasonable. We then spoke with someone from the service dept about the lowered rear suspension and was informed that it was likely reversible and not really a factor.

I got a call from the seller this evening and I'm going to take a test ride tomorrow...I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW the bike I'm looking at is a carbed, not injected.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:30 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gilmour68
Stopped by a dealership today and asked about used bikes. Turns out that they had the same year and color in stock. It hadn't been checked over by their service department yet, so they hadn't put a price on it. The salesman I spoke with took me to the garage and pulled the bike out to let me sit on it to see how it felt.

I mentioned that the bike I was looking at had a lowered rear suspension and Carlini drag bars and he immediately said that the bike wouldn't ride or handle well with that setup (said it wouldn't have been comfortable). Obviously he's trying to make a sale himself. We went back inside and he pulled up a price list from '05 that listed the prices of both the carbed and FI models. It originally sold for $14k.

He then looked up the current value of the bike and it came in at $11500 - 12k+. So it seems the 10K price tag is reasonable. We then spoke with someone from the service dept about the lowered rear suspension and was informed that it was likely reversible and not really a factor.

I got a call from the seller this evening and I'm going to take a test ride tomorrow...I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW the bike I'm looking at is a carbed, not injected.
Trust me, reverse the lowering?... you're gonna want the bike lowered anyway, and the ride is NOT bad; not as good as stock, but not bad. Mine is lowered 2" in the back, as are most FX softails on this forum........otherwise they look like a motocross bike.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:57 PM
haztaz
Ultimate HDF Member

Sweet ride golfblues!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:57 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

"Trust me, reverse the lowering?... you're gonna want the bike lowered anyway, and the ride is NOT bad; not as good as stock, but not bad. Mine is lowered 2" in the back, as are most FX softails on this forum........otherwise they look like a motocross bike. "

I was just relaying what the salesman was saying. I believe the seller when he said this bike was comfortable. The salesman was trying to disprove virtually anything I mentioned about the bike he wasn't trying to sell. I realize that it's his job...

I'll make form my own opinions after seeing and riding the bike...

Old 11-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't believe some of the stupid things dealers say. My bike is lowered, has Carlini bars and rides and handles great. The bike you are looking at sounds like a deal, I paid 16 for my 03 Fatboy with about 12 in extras, can't blame the dealer for wanting to make a sale, but he is full of it.

Quick Reply: Looking at a Softail Standard - 2004