General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a Softail Standard - 2004

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:10 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Looking at a Softail Standard - 2004

As some of you may already know, I'm in the market for a new ride...I was rear ended on October 20th and the Sporty will be totalled by the ins company. I've been looking at some Dynas lately but I came across an ad for a Softail Standard and called about it today.

I thought I'd turn to the experts here on the forum for some advice.

The bike is a Black '04 Softail Standard with the 1450 engine and a 5 speed. It has 17k miles on it. The pipes are Rhineharts, with a SE a/c. He also installed Carlini fat T bars and a Lepera seat. the rear has been lowered around 2" also. He has a rigid mount backrest that he would include.

The owner said he bought the bike new in '04 and took it to Sturgis that year. Most of the miles have been on the highway and he's maintained the bike himself. He has a bagger also and since his wife's surgery he needs to let one of the bikes go. He's asking for $10k, but I think he may go lower if I haggle a bit. My arguements for negotiating a lower price will be - it's 5 years old, has the smaller 88" engine and a 5 speed vs the 96" and 6 speeds. The KBB on the bike is only about $ 11350.

So my question basically is -- what do you think of this deal???

Old 11-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I had an 02 bike like that very nice ride. He is already asking less than KBB and KBB already has taken into consideration the items you listed as haggle amo. One year ago I sold my FXST for 9K W/ 27K miles, W/ a Mustang seat & SE slipons.
IMHO He is asking a fair price, If you like it buy it. If you want to steal a bike keep looking.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:49 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,788 Likes on 21,477 Posts

That's a F-in fantastic deal!! You can do a whole lot with a softail standard.....
You'll dig it. Be nice to the guy he probably needs the money...
Don't insult him or you just might lose the deal.
I'd ****** er' up quick for $10 K.....

Old 11-07-2008, 04:29 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an '05 Standard and absolutely love the bike. I've looked at Road Kings but just can't part with my Standard. 17,000 miles is nothing. Plus, the color is right. Go for it.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:35 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Smile

"IMHO He is asking a fair price, If you like it buy it. If you want to steal a bike keep looking."

That's why I thought I'd ask the forum before I went to see it. I think I'll love it. I've always liked the Softail Custom, Wide Glide, etc the most and if this bike is in decent shape I think I'll go for it. A great blank canvas for customization.

I figured that since I needed to replace the Sporty, why not look for a Dyna. If there's a Softail available at a Dyna price, why not shoot for the stars???

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to stop at a dealership tomorrow afternoon to browse and I'll ask their opinion on the value. Going in I know that they're gonna lowball the number to try and make the new bikes more appealing, etc...But I'd like to hear their opinion anyway.

Possibly they have a similar model I can test ride to get a feel for that type of bike.

The seller is within an hour of me, so I might be able to set up a test ride sometime Sunday. If it's half as good as it sounds, I can give him a deposit while I wait for the ins co to settle up. I'll keep you posted...

Old 11-07-2008, 05:07 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My local dealer has a new '07 standard in black for 12,900.......comes with the 2 year warranty. They got it from a military deal.......they get 30 or 40 bikes a year that way. Soldiers order them overseas but never pick them up when they get back in country.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Reino
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the softail standards, they are more value for your money if you don't mind the grey engine and less chrome. I had an 05 standard and traded it in on an 08 recently only because I wanted the 200 rear end. I was very happy with the 05's performance, there's not much difference in performance between the two engines.

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-2008, 07:21 PM
dc1503
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a good deal to me, i'm currently looking at a wide glide and fatboy myself, decisions decisions, oh well good luck in what ever you decide.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:59 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

To put it bluntly; I know a lot of guys running Softail Standards and they are damn nice bikes..

Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

The standard is a great bike that starts out a bit on the boring side like a blank canvas. Then the fun starts. Heres a few before (w Bid Rads) & after.

Last edited by golfblues; 11-07-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking at a Softail Standard - 2004