General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Sales Hurting??? "Ride Free Guarantee"

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:48 PM
fmudge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Sales Hurting??? "Ride Free Guarantee"

Most people who buy Sportsters, typically trade up to something bigger in a year or so. Now, the MOCO is guaranteeing your trade in value at what you paid for the sporty. The new slogan is "Ride Free."

I am jealous, do you think they might extend that to a Screaming Eagle Ultra? Doubt it, not much to trade up to from there. Anyway, just an evening rant. What's the general thought about this deal?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see nothing wrong with the deal...you own a sportie....use it to make a down on a bigger bike....what is not to like? As far as extending it to other models.......why should they?? Its their ball game, they set the rules...

Old 12-28-2008, 08:10 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not sure about the idea, but I am not a marketing expert or an expert on the current market for motorcycles so that should not be a surprise.

It seems to me that in the current economy people would be more likely to purchase a less expensive motorcycle. One thing that might stop them would be the thought that they will want to "upgrade" to a more expensive bike when the economy gets better. I suppose this might help them get those folks on a bike. And we all know what tends to happen after one has their *** planted on one of these machines for a while.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:14 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fmudge
Most people who buy Sportsters, typically trade up to something bigger in a year or so. Now, the MOCO is guaranteeing your trade in value at what you paid for the sporty. The new slogan is "Ride Free."

I am jealous, do you think they might extend that to a Screaming Eagle Ultra? Doubt it, not much to trade up to from there. Anyway, just an evening rant. What's the general thought about this deal?
Nah- this is a revised marketing event that was launchd in the mid 80's by the willie-g company. we call it the -"turn the bed sheets over" prgram.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:15 PM
jagator
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a Sporty and looking hard at making a change to a bigger bike. I will get full MSRP from the same dealer which sold me the bike 10 months ago. Best thing is I didn't even pay MSRP when I bought the bike. I did add pipes and a seat, but still will come out ahead. The dealer told me they get killed on this, but it is a good promotion for Harley. He also hopes to clear out some of the Sporty on the floor, but is worried more of me will show up.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:26 PM
stevengb
Road Warrior

just another Harley thing that they pull out of the closet and label it as new. Don't get me wrong...I love my harley...but they are famous for taking the old and calling it new in all they do. just my .02 cents

Old 12-28-2008, 08:29 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

yep, they have done it before

Old 12-28-2008, 08:35 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
yep, they have done it before
I need to start paying more attention to their marketing programs I guess, never heard of it before

Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 PM
stevengb
Road Warrior

If I remember correctly...it was called the Ride Free Program back then also. Would have been back in the late 80's or early 90's. Of course they can bring the Crossbones in as a new model even tho it is scattered from head to toe with old garage parts and really nothing new. It's a cool bike but hardly a "new" concept for them. the list goes on and on..... reminds me of rock and roll bands bringing out "new" albums that are re releases of their old songs with maybe one or two new songs included. Oh well.......it seems to work for them well!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:21 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Even though you're probably going to also pay msrp on the new bike it sounds like a really great deal and great incentive.

Quick Reply: HD Sales Hurting??? "Ride Free Guarantee"