General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Norton or Triumph

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:27 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigG2009FLHRC
The Triumph is made in India, last I heard.
Triumph has two plants in India that build sub assemblies. That last I heard the final assembly was still UK.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Airpump
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle56
Theres another big name comming back to the Market in Norton and the comando is a bike to watch.
Hope it is better than the one I rode in the late 60's. It kind of reminded me of sitting on a piece of plywood, while riding a washing machine.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:01 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had lot's of Brit bikes in 70's and 80's 2 triumph, 2 BSA, all outstanding handling bikes, especially the BSA's, all 650cc verticle twins. Never had a Norton. Reliability, never a mechanical failure, but a few electrical ones. Lucas electronics, the prince of darkness. Lot's of gremlins there.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:05 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Triumphs and cool bikes but I would go with a 1200C over a triumph any day.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 PM
atomic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cornishman
The press are talking a high end price tag. I hope not, i,d love to see them produce a great product at a resonable price......here,s hoping.
The Ohlins suspension on the bike costs over 5000 dollars so I am guessing the bike wont' be cheap. Figure 15k to 17k.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

I cut my teeth on BSAs in the 1960s and 70s. Here in the UK we tended to go for either one or the other, but not both! Never owned a Triumph and wouldn't be seen dead on one.... (sorry - old prejudice coming out!).

Triumphs these days are made in Hinckley, Leicestershire, using a wide variety of parts sourced from around the world, including India. When the company was launched in its current form I asked if there were any workers from the old Triumph company and was told just one! So apart from the name there is no continuity from the old Triumph. Although they use some of the familiar old names, all their bikes are new from the ground up.

Where the old factory stood, in Meriden near Coventry, there is now a housing development, with the roads named after old Triumph models, like Bonneville Close and Daytona Drive.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:36 AM
Tripped1
Tourer

Wow there is some mis information in this thread.

From my understanding it's only the Rocket IIIs, Bonnie America, and Speed Master (maybe the new T-Bird) have assemblies built in Thailand. The Speed Triple, Street Tripe, Tiger, Daytona Bonnie, Thruxtons ect are still built in Hinkely.....who knows I could be wrong. I do know that they aren't assembled anywhere except England.
http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/o...cfm?id=1345339
http://members.bccthai.com/BCCT/asp/....asp?CorpID=46

Contrary to popular belief, Triumph never went out of business what they DID do was stop importing to the US from the mid-80s untill the late 90s. Starting with the Legend and later the Daytona/Speed Triple and Tiger they came back and began building sales. They started opening plants in Thailand because Hinkley was out of capacity. The Speed Triple was 61% of their yearly sales by volume (its should it's a great bike).

Apparently the Brits like to outsource too.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:42 AM
Tripped1
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
Triumphs these days are made in Hinckley, Leicestershire, using a wide variety of parts sourced from around the world, including India. When the company was launched in its current form I asked if there were any workers from the old Triumph company and was told just one! So apart from the name there is no continuity from the old Triumph. Although they use some of the familiar old names, all their bikes are new from the ground up.
I don't know about that the newer Bonnies aren't that bad. I had a 68 and demo'd a 2006. The 06 had more power, didn't rattle parts off (infact it was pretty smooth) it shifted on the proper side and had a WAY better suspension (which didn't have a high bar to hurdle).

Besides didn't the company change hands the last time from BSA-Triumph in something like '83? I would think most of the old wrenches retired by now.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripped1
Wow there is some mis information in this thread.
True!

Originally Posted by Tripped1
From my understanding it's only the Rocket IIIs, Bonnie America, and Speed Master (maybe the new T-Bird) have assemblies built in Thailand. The Speed Triple, Street Tripe, Tiger, Daytona Bonnie, Thruxtons ect are still built in Hinkely.....who knows I could be wrong. I do know that they aren't assembled anywhere except England.
http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/o...cfm?id=1345339
http://members.bccthai.com/BCCT/asp/....asp?CorpID=46

Contrary to popular belief, Triumph never went out of business what they DID do was stop importing to the US from the mid-80s untill the late 90s. Starting with the Legend and later the Daytona/Speed Triple and Tiger they came back and began building sales. They started opening plants in Thailand because Hinkley was out of capacity. The Speed Triple was 61% of their yearly sales by volume (its should it's a great bike).

Apparently the Brits like to outsource too.
The last statement is true! As for building Triumphs, that is all done at Hinckley, about an hour's drive from my home. But all Triumphs are assembled, like all Harleys, using parts manufactured both in the UK and from around the world.

Contrary to the above, Triumph has had three incarnations in recent times! I had friends working at their factory in Meriden, who were subsequently made redundant when the factory was closed down and the company ceased to exist. Period!

The rights to the brand were later purchased and for a few years a small business was licensed to make a limited number of old style designs. That arrangement was terminated prior to the current newly created Triumph factory starting production.

To remove any doubt and for better info, read Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Motorcycles_Ltd

Old 01-23-2009, 05:02 AM
Tripped1
Tourer

well yeah, however, also from the first paragraph of your link.

Triumph Motorcycles Ltd is the largest surviving British motorcycle manufacturer. When Triumph went into receivership in 1983 John Bloor, a former plasterer turned wealthy English property developer and builder became interested in keeping the brand name going. and bought the name and manufacturing rights from the Official Receiver.[1] The new company (initially Bonneville Coventry Ltd) ensured that Triumph has produced motorcycles since 1902, making it the world's longest continuous production motorcycle manufacturer.
Changed hand and got messed with, but apparently never completely stopped.

Quick Reply: Sportster Norton or Triumph