General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What RPM Range ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:23 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
I've been riding since 1967 by the seat of my pants...a tach is handy for tuning purposes, but I've never looked at one all the time when I was riding...if you can't tell when to shift by how the bike is pulling and running, the problem's not the bike, it's the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars...jk...kinda...maybe...
The nut that connects the seat to the handlebars. I love that line!!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:31 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LilBudyWizer
As long as the throttle is responsive you're fine. If you have to downshift to accelerate reasonably then you're too low.

Downshift? On a Harley???

My old 80" shovelhead would pull like a freight train no matter what. Mountain twisties? Just crank the throttle and hang on. Didn't matter what gear it was in.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:48 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Downshift? On a Harley???

My old 80" shovelhead would pull like a freight train no matter what. Mountain twisties? Just crank the throttle and hang on. Didn't matter what gear it was in.
You're talking horsepower. I'm talking changes in horsepower. Dropping gears, within reason, gives more horsepower. Whether you need more horsepower, or just really enjoy it, is argueable. Whether you have more horsepower at 3k rpms than 2k is not. All I was trying to say is you want to stay above the point as which downshifting starts making a bigger differance. Put another way you want to stay above the point at which your horsepower starts dropping off a cliff. Whether you have "enough" horsepower once you drop off that cliff isn't the question, but, rather, the question is where did that horsepower go.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:44 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Read Donny Peterson's last few articles in American Iron. He states that most Harley riders, used to the "old" bikes, are lugging their twin cams.

Just sayin....I never had an old one.....but I can read a torque chart, and if you're shifting before 3,000 rpm you're not even in the power band.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:36 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Read Donny Peterson's last few articles in American Iron. He states that most Harley riders, used to the "old" bikes, are lugging their twin cams.

Just sayin....I never had an old one.....but I can read a torque chart, and if you're shifting before 3,000 rpm you're not even in the power band.

You have a valid point. these are v twin cam engines. Not like the old engines. My power max is from 3000 to 4000 rpm's . In my book. If a engine has a red line, then if i run between those guidelines, im ok. the engine is made to run , right ? I've been told more than once that everyone lugs there engines. I was told to keep it from 2500 to 4000 rpms and i would be a lot happier.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You're talking horsepower. I'm talking changes in horsepower. Dropping gears, within reason, gives more horsepower. Whether you need more horsepower, or just really enjoy it, is argueable. Whether you have more horsepower at 3k rpms than 2k is not. All I was trying to say is you want to stay above the point as which downshifting starts making a bigger differance. Put another way you want to stay above the point at which your horsepower starts dropping off a cliff. Whether you have "enough" horsepower once you drop off that cliff isn't the question, but, rather, the question is where did that horsepower go.
Close, but not quite. Gearing cannot, under any circumstances, multiply horsepower.

Dropping down a gear multiplies torque at the wheel. You can see from these dyno charts that HP remains relatively flat (or continues increasing) from about 4,500 RPM right up to redline. Torque, however, begins to fall off between 4,000 and 4,500 RPM and falls all the way to redline. If you wanted to stay "above the point at which your horsepower starts dropping off a cliff", you would never let the engine drop below 4,500 RPM. I think we can all agree that is way too high for a cruising RPM.

What matters for acceleration is torque, not horsepower. You want to keep the engine in an acceptable RPM range for torque, which, for most Harley engines seems to begin somewhere between 1,800 and 2,000 RPM.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:35 PM
jokerx
Banned

It's torque...not horsepower.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Bigbluefatboy
Advanced

No matter what motor you have you shouldn't lug it, it is bad for it
But cruising at 2500 RPMs wont hurt it, what he means is if your doing 30MPH dont be in 5th or 6th gear with the throttle pulled all the way back. Use common sense, if the motor feels like it is struggling, then down shift..

Old 01-29-2009, 04:56 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hogginit
Keep it abouve 2200, except in 1st, youbr lugging at anything under that. Keeping it over 3K is as other said a little extreme. 3K would be a good shiftpoint to another gear. Sounds like he is anxious to take your build to a 110, after you tweek this one. LoL
Why is 3K a good shift point? I've been riding for years and I've always built mine to run between 3500 - 5000rpm. You ain't having any fun if you ain't on the cams! You aren't gonnas tweak your motor running at 5 grand! How long you kids been riding? A well built harley will run all day at 5K! The dealer ain't lieing! Ride it like ya stole it! My 93 EVO has 115K on her and she's still runnin alot of the original motor parts. I did do the top end and put in a new set of S&S 502's in 99. That old batleax always gets ridden hard! My 07 rg hits the rev limiter at 6300 pretty regularly in1st & 2nd. She's real comfy at 3500 - 4500 rpm. Just cause ya got 6 gears don't mean you always have to use them all!