General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta Love the US, banned bikes for youths

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:23 PM
tbrenan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gotta Love the US, banned bikes for youths

The government has (apparently) started to enforce legislation that BANS sales of motorcycle specifically built for people under 12 years of age----the logic is beyond belief something to do with lead PPM, whom do you know that has eaten their bike?

Is this the tip of the iceburg--often mentioned on the Forum, about erosion of freedom and your ability to "think for yourself"

Old 02-05-2009, 12:37 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suriving my youth through all of its precarious moments has definately helped me appreciate life now. Especially when I get up in the morning and wait for back,neck, knees,hips and ankles to limber up. Safety nuts **** me off---it's my job as a parent,teacher and consumer to decide if my kids are old enough to ride. I know more than they do--I got the scars and survival skills to prove it.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:41 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised Canada didn't beat you to it. I am glad I grew up when I did. You could still get hurt if you wanted to. They are pushing helmets for snow sledding. It won't be long before its mandated.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, according to the safety nuts, I probably shouldn't have lived through my childhood.

I was a "latchkey kid" by the time I was in 5th or 6th grade.
I walked home from school (alone) when I was in elementary school.
I used to ride my bicycle all over town without a helmet.
I climbed the mulberry tree in our backyard.
I drove the boat to pull my father skiing by the time I was 12 or 13.
I had a BB gun, a slingshot, and a longbow.
I was driving our old riding mower by the time I was 11 (you know, back before they had those annoying "safety" switches that killed the motor if you got off the seat).
We played with Lawn Jarts and horseshoes at family picnics.
Grandpa smoked like a chimney but we spent all day Sunday each week at his house.
I never used a car seat after about 4 or 5 years old.

Yup, it's a miracle I survived without the government butting in and telling me what was best. *eyeroll*

Old 02-05-2009, 12:51 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Suriving my youth through all of its precarious moments has definately helped me appreciate life now. Especially when I get up in the morning and wait for back,neck, knees,hips and ankles to limber up. Safety nuts **** me off---it's my job as a parent,teacher and consumer to decide if my kids are old enough to ride. I know more than they do--I got the scars and survival skills to prove it.
ditto

Old 02-05-2009, 12:52 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior

So this mean they are gonna come after me when I build a mini chopper powered by a v twin powerplant from a yard tool ..... before his 3rd birthday?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:55 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad used to pull our sleds around behind the car in the winter. Now he would probably be arrested.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 PM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep pullin the handle for those lefties on election day. You ain't seen nuthin yet.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by King FLH
Keep pullin the handle for those lefties on election day. You ain't seen nuthin yet.

+1
And jus' think, they have only touched the iceberg called 'fat'. BEFORE you say, "They can't do that!!!" That's what ppl said 'bout smoking. BUT it was a "HEALTH" issue. Guess what is a BIGGER health issue than smoking???
Overweight? Pay more for your insurance, IF you can even get it when that rolls 'round. Most likely it was a 'pre-existing condition'.

Isn't it jus' amazing what the "Insurance Institute" can do to make your life safer and better???

They have not even started, yet.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:47 PM
extech
Road Master

I remember going into the store to buy smokes "for my Mom", now they would imprison the store owner and smear his name all over the media.

Quick Reply: Gotta Love the US, banned bikes for youths