General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, joining the family.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Need help, joining the family.

Ok guys (and gals), my brother in law is getting ready to join the HD family, and has requested my help, and I'm requesting yours.

He got approved for a $4000 signature loan. He's active duty military with a wife and two kids, so that 4000 will probably have to include tax, title and license. He can’t afford a P.O.S. that needs to be worked on every time he rides it, so I'm thinking a good used 883 or 1200 would be perfect. He's a small guy, and has never ridden before. I instructed him to take the MSF course ASAP.

He lives in the Cape Cod area, and will travel within a few hours to pick up a bike.

Help me find him a good used bike.

Please DONT reply recommending a metric, this guy IS going to buy a HD, he's hard headed, and you'll just waste your time even suggesting it.

Let’s get this guy started off right!

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:51 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XL1200 if you gotta get a Sporty. However I would recommend that he look for bigger bikes if the little lady wants to go with him. It would be a more comfortable rid. There are plenty of bikes out there, if you just look.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master

Tell your buddy to take the MSF course and then talk to the instructor for suggestions about a suitable model. The instructor will have seen this fellow in action and understand how to advise him. Friends and family do not always give good advice, but at least they generally do show up at the funeral.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 AM
1Coastie
Road Master

I agree with the idea of a bigger bike; however that may be tough to do on a $4000 budget. I started out on a Fatboy no problem, however... I have ridden dirt bikes all my life. Last night this guy was trying to equate riding a motorcycle to driving a riding lawn mower! He thinks it will be similar riding experience. No I'm not joking! So it better be a while before he starts riding two up.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:17 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BWLucky13
Tell your buddy to take the MSF course and then talk to the instructor for suggestions about a suitable model. The instructor will have seen this fellow in action and understand how to advise him. Friends and family do not always give good advice, but at least they generally do show up at the funeral.
The instructor does not know how you are going to ride. What you want to do. The instructor is only seeing you for a couple of hours for a couple of days. You need to talk to other riders to see if they ride like you are planning on riding. Asking the instructor is like asking the person at the pet store what dog you should buy. Matter of personal preference.

I do agree with the MSF Course. After he gets his bike I recommend taking the Experienced Rider Course. That is very much worth it. Plus you get a refund from Harley Davidson if you are a National member for the course.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:19 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1Coastie
I agree with the idea of a bigger bike; however that may be tough to do on a $4000 budget. I started out on a Fatboy no problem, however... I have ridden dirt bikes all my life. Last night this guy was trying to equate riding a motorcycle to driving a riding lawn mower! He thinks it will be similar riding experience. No I'm not joking! So it better be a while before he starts riding two up.
If the thought of going two up is well in the future. Then I recommend the 1200 it is better balanced than the 883. And when he goes riding with the big boys he will have no problems keeping up.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:25 AM
1Coastie
Road Master

Originally Posted by BWLucky13
A Honda Rebel 250 will kill you just as dead as a 1200 Sporty. Dead is dead. In fact I think most will agree having a little extra horsepower can save your life. I personally think small under powered bikes are more dangerous than big fast ones. The only time high performance becomes a liability is when it’s not respected or abused.

Besides, he has already made up his mind, and like I said before he's hard headed.

So once again..... if theres anybody out there who knows of a bike in his price range..... please help.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:29 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'04 1200R, 15,800 miles, BIN price of $4K on ebay (bike is in MD): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...1%7C240%3A1318

P.S. I am also in the military (Navy, medical field) and know full well the alarming rise in bike deaths among service members. Please do not stop advising him about safety...for his wife and kids sake!

Last edited by kromdom; 02-12-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:29 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

86,88,89,90 sporty is what I would go for stay away from 87(they screwed with the carb that year)....you should find one in that 4000 range easy...

Old 02-12-2009, 09:34 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Ebay....he will find someone who has to unload a 1200 Sportster. It may take him a few trys but they are out there. Tell him to look at metric dealers who have taken Harley's on trade...they usually have a hard time selling them.

Quick Reply: Need help, joining the family.