General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Experienced Rider Course

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:00 PM
steel insane
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me too.

I also signed up to be an instructor. We need more riders trained & lessen the number of wrecks because of the lack of knowledge.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Whoad00d
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its ok i learned somethings basically trains you to break some bad habbits

Old 02-14-2009, 06:54 PM
mbwannabe1
Tourer

If it was only $25, I'd give it a chance. Here, it's $100. There's no way I'm going to spend that much without knowing EXACTLY what I'm going to walk away with. I'd rather buy a new pair of boots, because I know how much protection I'd get from them.

I've met too many "consultants" to believe all claims made by someone offering a service for a fee. I hear that part of our advanced course fee is used to subsidize the basic course. They couldn't tell me how much of it stayed in their pockets.

Deep inside, I have resentment for anyone that would withold information that could prevent injury to others unless they profit personally.

I am also suspiscious of supposed "experts", espescially those endorsed through a civil bureaucracy. I have personally coached off-duty police officers at a public pistol range to teach them how to actually hit a target, after they were "trained" by the "experts" at the academy.

I admit I don't know everything, but I doubt there is much content in the course I haven't heard from other riders and learned from personal experience. I'm already comfortable and confident in my abilities. Been riding since 1973, and have only had one serious accident, and I admit I was pushing my luck at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I think the basic rider course is a great thing. I'm encouraging my daughter to take it this summer. Fees are necessary to cover the cost of materials consumed. With RLAP, you own a copy of the DVD. I just don't see what you walk away with in the experienced course, since you are bringing all of our materials with you. Seems to me the ERC could be run as a public service at rallys or other rides.

Last edited by mbwannabe1; 02-14-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: more thoughts - no double post
Old 02-14-2009, 07:39 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Took that course last summer. Yes, its definitely worth it. The class is well worth a half day of your time.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:13 PM
HDMike96
Road Captain

Took the course as its required to get a post decal on ft bragg. I definately learned some good stuff doing so. Also if you take it every couple years it will lower your insurance rates.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:31 PM
mbwannabe1
Tourer

Originally Posted by HDMike96
Took the course as its required to get a post decal on ft bragg. I definately learned some good stuff doing so. Also if you take it every couple years it will lower your insurance rates.
1st -- Thanks for your service.

Thread was about the experinced rider course, but for the basic MSF, AR 385-10 provides FREE training for base personnell and civilian contractors. Having taken it, how much woul you PAY if you had to do it over again, and would you if not required to ride while enlisted?

In my case, I will get an insurance discount, but not enough to break even.

Last edited by mbwannabe1; 02-14-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:26 PM
HDMike96
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mbwannabe1
1st -- Thanks for your service.

Thread was about the experinced rider course, but for the basic MSF, AR 385-10 provides FREE training for base personnell and civilian contractors. Having taken it, how much woul you PAY if you had to do it over again, and would you if not required to ride while enlisted?

In my case, I will get an insurance discount, but not enough to break even.
Thank you for your support.

When I took it was an all day thing. Alot of what they teach are techniques and skills you wouldnt normally use in day to day riding (I.E. figure 8s and what not). Also factor in that the course will make you ride out of your comfort zone at times and instructors will ensure you dont cut corners I would def pay for it. Easily worth 100-150. And I take it every couple years even though its only required to be taken once. Also according to my card it was the experienced rider course I took.

Last edited by HDMike96; 02-14-2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: checked my msf card
Old 02-14-2009, 09:39 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the advanced course a few years ago after I had quite a few years under the belt. It was great because I used my fatboy back then and it made see how many bad habbits I had acquired over the years. I say definately worth taking the course!!!

Old 02-15-2009, 03:31 AM
trmac
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Beercan321
For those who have taken the course, have many people dropped their bikes when taking the class? I took the MSF basic class last year. I really liked it. The instructor said that earlier in the week they were teaching the advanced class and some guy dropped his bike and got injured. They called an ambulance to get him checked out at the hospital. I’m curious to know if people dropping their bikes in the advanced class happens fairly frequently or if it is it rare occurrence.
Nobody dropped in my BRC but in the ERC there was a girl on a sport bike that dropped it in the 2nd turn of the box (on the test) - her bike had been running like crap all day plus she was to short for the bike (could barely touch the ground with both feet). Same ERC we had a guy on an EG and he had no prblems with the course.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:34 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Beercan321
For those who have taken the course, have many people dropped their bikes when taking the class? I took the MSF basic class last year. I really liked it. The instructor said that earlier in the week they were teaching the advanced class and some guy dropped his bike and got injured. They called an ambulance to get him checked out at the hospital. I’m curious to know if people dropping their bikes in the advanced class happens fairly frequently or if it is it rare occurrence.
I've taken the ERC twice (with different bikes) only had ONE person drop their bike, and really, it was a TIP over. guy just stalled, and the instructor was right there, and the bike just eased over. no harm, no scratches

Originally Posted by mbwannabe1
If it was only $25, I'd give it a chance. Here, it's $100. There's no way I'm going to spend that much without knowing EXACTLY what I'm going to walk away with. I'd rather buy a new pair of boots, because I know how much protection I'd get from them.

I've met too many "consultants" to believe all claims made by someone offering a service for a fee. I hear that part of our advanced course fee is used to subsidize the basic course. They couldn't tell me how much of it stayed in their pockets.

Deep inside, I have resentment for anyone that would withold information that could prevent injury to others unless they profit personally.

I am also suspiscious of supposed "experts", espescially those endorsed through a civil bureaucracy. I have personally coached off-duty police officers at a public pistol range to teach them how to actually hit a target, after they were "trained" by the "experts" at the academy.

I admit I don't know everything, but I doubt there is much content in the course I haven't heard from other riders and learned from personal experience. I'm already comfortable and confident in my abilities. Been riding since 1973, and have only had one serious accident, and I admit I was pushing my luck at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I think the basic rider course is a great thing. I'm encouraging my daughter to take it this summer. Fees are necessary to cover the cost of materials consumed. With RLAP, you own a copy of the DVD. I just don't see what you walk away with in the experienced course, since you are bringing all of our materials with you. Seems to me the ERC could be run as a public service at rallys or other rides.
In North Carolina the ERC is $65, the class has 2 instructors, and a limit of 12 students. There is class time, as well as range time. There is no guarranty that you, I , or anyone will walk away from the class a better rider. same can be said for the Ride Like a Pro class ($150 per student here in NC +the DVD) or MotorMark1 ($300 per student, but for 8 hours, NOT just 4 hours like RLaP).

It's YOUR money... the value you percieve from a pair of $100 boots, might be woth it, or you might decide to pay more for a better boot (red wings $195)

Quick Reply: MSF Experienced Rider Course